Caille Doughboy

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Re: Caille Doughboy

Postby radiorich123 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:34 am

HI

I have the machine also. Not much info. on the internet for it. I am missing the center vertical jackpot push bar. Yes it fills the jackpot with a 2 cherry pay out. Not sure how it stops this when the jackpot is full. Do i really need that jackpot vertical push bar? The coin escalator works but not for one coin all the time. Some times I get 2 0r 3 coins in the same slot. Poor design on this machine. Just notice I am missing the z bar on the bottom of the escalator.

Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby pachiwall! » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm

radiorich123 wrote:HI

I have the machine also. Not much info. on the internet for it. I am missing the center vertical jackpot push bar. Yes it fills the jackpot with a 2 cherry pay out. Not sure how it stops this when the jackpot is full. Do i really need that jackpot vertical push bar? The coin escalator works but not for one coin all the time. Some times I get 2 0r 3 coins in the same slot. Poor design on this machine. Just notice I am missing the z bar on the bottom of the escalator.

Rich
When you say "center vertical jackpot push bar"...are you talking about the bar mounted in the case...
2050-12-31 23.59.59-187.jpg
Or you talking about the part on the mechanism, that pushes it?
2050-12-31 23.59.59-186.jpg

I have talked with Marsonion, I have learned much! As I understand it...there is a bar, extending into the jackpot reserve.
2050-12-31 23.59.59-185.jpg
I hear, it should have a ball on the end. each time the handle is pulled, the bar/ball lift, then drop. When reserve chamber is full...it lifts, but can not drop. When it does not drop, it holds the "zig-zag"
2050-12-31 23.59.59-188.jpg
in position to block coins from entering the reserve!
By removing the zig-zag, and home made spring, and oiling the pivot points of the gate that fills the reserve...I was able to get the reserve to start filling on cherry, cherry,any! So, I put the zig-zag and home made spring back on and tested it. No filling of reserve on CH,CH,ANY. More testing required...but I'm getting closer.
I think you are right about the escelator...
2050-12-31 23.59.59-188.jpg
Often times, the hooks that pull the coins up, seem worn down...and slip under the coin, leaving it behind. Sometimes it works itself out...but this one required me to open it up, and spill the coins out.
Attachments
2050-12-31 23.59.59-183.jpg
pachiwall!

Postby marsonion » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Yes indeed, to function properly, the "Zig-Zag" has to couple with the "Bouncing Ramp" in such a way that it is held down until nickels pile up high enough to keep the BR off the ZZ, then the double-cherry nickels should stop dropping out of the escalator and into the reserve. If the ZZ isn't interacting with the BR in this way every time you reinsert the mech into the cabinet-- and instead the ZZ is just smashing into the BR and perhaps bending it backwards-- then of course the whole mess isn't going to work. Note that with the ZZ in place and properly sprung, you shouldn't get any double-cherry nickels dropping out of the escalator any time the mech is cycled outside the cabinet: that JP feed should only occur when the BR is holding down the ZZ inside the cabinet.

You might want to make sure that your escalator isn't catapulting coins around inside the escalator, and that the rack that raises the coins isn't just flicking them back up the drop-chute, causing coins to pile up as they are in your picture. Make sure your pump is working well enough to make the coins rise smoothly up the escalator; a jerky escalator action at the start of the cycle is a sure indication that the fluid level in the pump is low. Lowering the rack can help: there is an adjustment for that on the rod-in-a-tube assembly below the escalator.
marsonion

Postby pachiwall! » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:17 am

I think the home made spring is too tight. It could be the as is not properly engaged with the br. The nickels were going into the reserve before I put the as bar back on. Without the spring, the bar rests in random positions. I have not tried without spring...don't expect it to work that way.
The coin blockage in the escalator. That happens occasionally. The manI bought it from has a Silent sphinx...he had a coin jam in his escalator. I simply thought that it was something that Cailles did. I have not noticed if it jerks or moves erratically. I will look into that. Thanks!
pachiwall!

Postby radiorich123 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 am

When you say "center vertical jackpot push bar"...are you talking about the bar mounted in the case?

Yes the one in the case.

Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby pachiwall! » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 am

If I'm not mistaken, that is the part that dumps the jackpot. Only a problem when you hit 3 bars, and expect a jackpot!
pachiwall!

Postby marsonion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm

pachiwall! wrote:I think the home made spring is too tight. It could be the as is not properly engaged with the br. The nickels were going into the reserve before I put the as bar back on. Without the spring, the bar rests in random positions. I have not tried without spring...don't expect it to work that way.
The coin blockage in the escalator. That happens occasionally. The manI bought it from has a Silent sphinx...he had a coin jam in his escalator. I simply thought that it was something that Cailles did. I have not noticed if it jerks or moves erratically. I will look into that. Thanks!

Bear in mind that the whole purpose of the "Zig-Zag" bar is to shut off the JP feed from the escalator. As you observe, the reserve/JP feed works just fine without the ZZ being there at all, and if you wanted to run the machine that way, everything would be hunky-dory until the reserve overfilled and nickels backed-up into the escalator... it would likely take many weeks of casual daily play to reach that point. Also remember that the ZZ spring wire should keep the bar tensioned in the clockwise direction, bearing down on the axle to the gate-pin that drops back to allow nickels to fall out of the bottom of the escalator on a double-cherry win, thereby disabling it. In the cabinet, the ZZ is itself disabled by the weight of the "Bouncing Ramp" to the reserve bearing down on it, which in turn allows the double-cherry feed to occur as if the ZZ wasn't there at all. Indeed, it appears that this contraption is designed entirely as an afterthought, and you have to learn to think totally ass-backwards in order to understand it at all.

No, nickels shouldn't back-up in the Caille escalator like it's nobody's business. All of mine run them up the chute very smoothly. I know some adjustments that I may be able to talk you through over the phone, but it would be very difficult to discuss and describe all that here.
marsonion

Postby Rick B » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:10 pm

I am still looking for this part and maybe a few other small pieces if anyone runs into any along the way. Thanks,,Rick B

Rick B

Postby pachiwall! » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:18 pm

marsonion wrote:
pachiwall! wrote:I think the home made spring is too tight. It could be the as is not properly engaged with the br. The nickels were going into the reserve before I put the as bar back on. Without the spring, the bar rests in random positions. I have not tried without spring...don't expect it to work that way.

Bear in mind that the whole purpose of the "Zig-Zag" bar is to shut off the JP feed from the escalator. As you observe, the reserve/JP feed works just fine without the ZZ being there at all, and if you wanted to run the machine that way, everything would be hunky-dory until the reserve overfilled and nickels backed-up into the escalator... it would likely take many weeks of casual daily play to reach that point. Also remember that the ZZ spring wire should keep the bar tensioned in the clockwise direction, bearing down on the axle to the gate-pin that drops back to allow nickels to fall out of the bottom of the escalator on a double-cherry win, thereby disabling it. In the cabinet, the ZZ is itself disabled by the weight of the "Bouncing Ramp" to the reserve bearing down on it, which in turn allows the double-cherry feed to occur as if the ZZ wasn't there at all. Indeed, it appears that this contraption is designed entirely as an afterthought, and you have to learn to think totally ass-backwards in order to understand it at all.

No, nickels shouldn't back-up in the Caille escalator like it's nobody's business. All of mine run them up the chute very smoothly. I know some adjustments that I may be able to talk you through over the phone, but it would be very difficult to discuss and describe all that here.

I double checked the tension direction...it is indeed clockwise ,pressing down on the brass cam when out of cabinet. I have been wanting to blame spring tension too high...now I know that is incorrect. Before tampering with spring tension, I removed the top casting.
2050-12-31 23.59.59-206.jpg
2050-12-31 23.59.59-207.jpg
Now I can look down at the interaction of the parts. I had previously looked through the gap at the coin entry. I could see the zz bar touching the bouncing ramp.
2050-12-31 23.59.59-202.jpg
As the gap closed, I could see and feel it (zig zag bar) sliding under the bouncing ramp...as I understand it should. As you know, it still did not fill. I tried to use a borescope to see what was going on...but not enough space to reach the front. Now that I have removed the casting, I can watch the zz bar slip under as it should.
2050-12-31 23.59.59-203.jpg
This is almost seated. Sliding it home, the zz bar slips out in front of the bouncing ramp...thus rendering it inactive.
So, originally, I thought this bar looked bent...but bid not want to "straighten" it, if I did not even know that it was upside down. Now it is time to straighten it and test!
pachiwall!

Postby pachiwall! » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:23 pm

I thought I had uploaded this pic of the zz bar slipping out from under the bouncing ramp.
2050-12-31 23.59.59-205.jpg
Now I am comfortable with straightening this part.
pachiwall!

PreviousNext

Return to Slots