Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:49 pm

should have gone to the auto parts store , bulbs cheaper there.
JHSS-1944
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:04 am
Location: Peoria, Arizona

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby OneArmBandito » Sun May 14, 2017 7:17 am

I'm making a little headway on the keeney. The book says several things about no payout on certain combos. One is "check" wipers on the reels. They are all pretty worn, almost to the mark which I assume is the "time to replace" mark. The oranges on the third reel were not completing the circuit, but where to find replacement wipers ? ! Went looking and bought a lot of brass hickeys on ebay that appeared to be the same shape and size as the wipers, though a little longer. Turns out they are thicker,too. So I filed one down to the right thickness (worried about that little nut falling off if I loosen the screw too much !), cut it down to the right length, rounded it and presto, contact ! Figured that would do it, but not so much. Still no payout. The little buggers are almost impossible to get to as well. There's about six disconnect boards for the reels. They all appeared to have continuity across them. So then I started tracing the voltage to the big plugs on the bottom shelf. A pair of 4' jumpers for the multimeter gets ya from front to back. That particular pin wasn't letting the juice through, so bending the socket ears tightened it up, and she pays on three oranges now. Slow progress is better than no progress. I'm chalking this up as a win.
OneArmBandito
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:07 pm

SHOW THAT MACHINE WHO'S BOSS !!!
I know it's B.S. but, When I have a big issue & finally fix it correctly , the machine seems to almost automatically give me a big pay off.... a thank you for fixing it.

I need to actually learn the basics & beyond of electrical work. so far hasn't been needed on my machines yet but, no doubt it will.
JHSS-1944
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:04 am
Location: Peoria, Arizona

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby OneArmBandito » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Well I finally did it. I was looking into one new issue, and broke the motor that turns the cams and stops the reels. I noticed that the gear was loose on the motor shaft. I loosened the set screw, but the gear wouldn't come off. So I drove a screwdriver in there and instead of the gear coming off, the shaft came out of the motor housing. A sealed unit. Oops. The reason the gear wouldn't come off the shaft was because someone ran a second set screw in on top of the original set screw which was boogered up.
So this motor is sealed. I'm thinking about cutting it open on the back side, fixing the shaft back on the internal gear, then just putting it back together with moly grease in there. Or, trying to find a replacement motor here.
Live and learn. Or not. Sometimes I do stuff I know I shouldn't. Hammers and wedges are for knotty oak or locust.
OneArmBandito
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby OneArmBandito » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Ok, to be clear, it's the gears in the case that are broke, not the motor. The motor is external but part of the unit. It's a minor point. Sealed gear case.
OneArmBandito
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby OneArmBandito » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:01 pm

Well, I got off the project for awhile but finally got tired of staring at my broken slot. The back side of the gear case was pressed in. I used a dremel abrasive cutting disk to cut where I thought the seam might be. Came pretty close, too. Was eventually able to pry the back off. Got the gears back in their right places and on the right posts and now I'm epoxying the seam.
OneArmBandito
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby clubconsoles » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:00 pm

I have been browsing some of your posts and clearly, you are learning alot as you go along.
A few pictures would be great BTW!
I love the 1930s and 40s Consoles as you may have guessed from my username?
User avatar
clubconsoles
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:15 am
Location: Lowestoft, Suffolk UK

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby OneArmBandito » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:12 am

My biggest concern before I bought this was could I maintain it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
OneArmBandito
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby OneArmBandito » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:35 am

Could not get this to upload....
Attachments
image.jpeg
OneArmBandito
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Keeney Super Bell project...an ongoing saga

Postby clubconsoles » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks for pictures, it looks nice.
did you get round to sealing the glass with triple thick.
over half the value of a console like this is in the glass.
User avatar
clubconsoles
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:15 am
Location: Lowestoft, Suffolk UK

PreviousNext

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron