Mills High Top pays out too often

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Re: Mills High Top pays out too often

Postby cbvig » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:32 am

Is there a way to correct this without replacing the reel? I'm a bit new to this so not confident in tearing the mech down.
Thanks,
Chris
cbvig

Postby oldslotman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:36 pm

First you have to count how many cherries are on that first, outside, reel strip to see if that is the problem.
oldslotman

Postby radiorich123 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:37 pm

HI

Before you replace the reels you better make sure its not a mechanical problem with the pay out meck.

Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby edgeCity » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:23 pm

I have a similar issue with my Diamond Front 50c slot, which features 3/5 payout for cherries. Ch-Ch-Be or Ch-Ch-Le always correctly pays out 5 coins.
However, all kinds of oddball combinations will pay out 3 coins! Here are sample sets of combinations paying out 3 coins. Middle row (---) shows the symbols on the payline , the symbols on the rows above and below the payline are also shown. The figure in brackets { } show which pay finger was activated and how many discs it penetrated...

Pl - Ch - Or
--- Ch - Or - Be {Ch / 1}
Pl - Ch - Pl

Ch - Ch - Le
--- Bar - Be - Or {Bar / 1}
Or - Ch - Pl

Ch - Or - Pl
--- Pl - Ch - Le {Or / 1}
Ch - Be - Or

Ch - Be - Le
--- Be - Ch - Pl {Be / 1}
Pl - Or - Or

Pl - Be - Pl
--- Ch - Or - Or {Ch / 2}
Bar - Pl - Be

Ch - Or - Le
--- Pl - Pl - Or {Pl / 2}
Ch - Be - Pl

. . . all other winning combinations (oranges, plums, and bells) always pay out correctly (10, 14, 18). But I can't see any rhyme nor reason for these 'mystery' cherry payouts. Frustrating, too, because the coin tube empties pretty quickly on a half-dollar slot!!
edgeCity

Postby marsonion » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:01 pm

edgeCity wrote:I have a similar issue with my Diamond Front 50c slot, which features 3/5 payout for cherries. Ch-Ch-Be or Ch-Ch-Le always correctly pays out 5 coins.
However, all kinds of oddball combinations will pay out 3 coins! Here are sample sets of combinations paying out 3 coins. Middle row (---) shows the symbols on the payline , the symbols on the rows above and below the payline are also shown. The figure in brackets { } show which pay finger was activated and how many discs it penetrated...

Pl - Ch - Or
--- Ch - Or - Be {Ch / 1}
Pl - Ch - Pl

Ch - Ch - Le
--- Bar - Be - Or {Bar / 1}
Or - Ch - Pl

Ch - Or - Pl
--- Pl - Ch - Le {Or / 1}
Ch - Be - Or

Ch - Be - Le
--- Be - Ch - Pl {Be / 1}
Pl - Or - Or

Pl - Be - Pl
--- Ch - Or - Or {Ch / 2}
Bar - Pl - Be

Ch - Or - Le
--- Pl - Pl - Or {Pl / 2}
Ch - Be - Pl

. . . all other winning combinations (oranges, plums, and bells) always pay out correctly (10, 14, 18). But I can't see any rhyme nor reason for these 'mystery' cherry payouts. Frustrating, too, because the coin tube empties pretty quickly on a half-dollar slot!!

Not saying for sure, but your problem sounds suspiciously familiar to me:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3102&p=9913

Good luck!
marsonion

Postby oldslotman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:08 pm

Your problem most likely is the bottom payout finger which holds or releases the master slide which is the three coin pay. It is most likely rounded off on the end where it contacts the masterslide. This will cause the masterslide to slide by the payout finger and release the three coin payout. May not do it all the time. You should also check the spring on that payout finger and make sure it is being pull back into position to hold the slide back. Sometime that bottom finger can get hung up and not get back into position the hold the slide back.
finger.JPG
oldslotman

Postby edgeCity » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:10 pm

oldslotman wrote:Your problem most likely is the bottom payout finger which holds or releases the master slide which is the three coin pay. It is most likely rounded off on the end where it contacts the masterslide. This will cause the masterslide to slide by the payout finger and release the three coin payout. May not do it all the time. You should also check the spring on that payout finger and make sure it is being pull back into position to hold the slide back. Sometime that bottom finger can get hung up and not get back into position the hold the slide back.
The attachment finger.JPG is no longer available

OK -- back to this problem. I can see how the condition you describe with the bottom horizontal payout lever (finger) could develop over time, as the master slide is involved in ALL payouts! Moreover, I observed that when my mech is "cocked", the master slide doesn't come forward with the other slides as it should:

IMG_7462.JPG

Reading in my "Owner's Pictorial Guide . . . " (Geddes) it looks like I pretty much have to take the mech apart to get to (or even see) the bottom payout lever -- is there an easier approach? If not, I may defer the resolution of this problem until I do a restoration on this machine!

Thanks,
edgeCity
edgeCity

Postby oldslotman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm

The master slide pushes all the other slides forward. It also appears that you have 3/5 payout slides.
oldslotman

Previous

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions