Mills Extraordinary Console--Coins slides get stuck

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Extraordinary Console--Coins slides get stuck

Postby Mills Extra Con » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Hello All,

I am restoring a 1936 Mills 25-cent Extraordinary Console machine. I have disassembled it, cleaned all the parts, replaced various springs and cotter pins, and reassembled the mechanism using Dave’s DVD as a guide (Thanks, Dave, the video was very helpful!!).

Although I have no parts left over (!!), I do have a couple of persistent, nagging issues, and I hope someone on the forum can help me out.

The first issue....

The coins slides get stuck. When I cycle the machine, the coin slides get pushed out and the horizontal fingers engaged with the slides. The issue is that the bottom 3-coin slide (which appears to act as a carriage for the other slides) engages so strongly with the horizontal finger that it will not release at the end of the cycle. I have to reach into the mechanism and push the bottom horizontal finger to the side (using quite a bit of force—certainly much more that is generated by the vertical fingers) in order for the slides to snap back to the starting position. If I disassemble the mechanism to the point where I can see the slide and the horizontal fingers, the issue still happens and the engagement of the slides and the horizontal fingers is evident. This was not happening before I disassembled the mechanism, so it must be something I have done in the restoration. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening and how to remedy this?

I will list the other issue as a second post.

Regards,

Marc
Mills Extra Con

Re: Mills Extraordinary Console--Coins slides get stuck

Postby flipper77 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:44 am

You need the Geddes Mead Owner's Pictorial Guide to Mills. Commendable that you tackled a complete teardown and reassembly. Good luck!
flipper77

Postby pb4sc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Marc,
Anyway you can post some pictures of the issue? I am a little confused. When you cycle the machine, the vertical payout fingers should move out of the way, allowing the horizontal fingers to move into position to prevent the slides from sliding back. Unless the vertical fingers find a winning combo, and go into the reel disks. Once that happens, it pushes the horizontal finger out of the way, so the coin slides can move back and make a payout.

Stick with it, you will get it figured out.

Phil
pb4sc

Postby Mills Extra Con » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:37 am

Hello Phil,

I will post some pictures shortly.

Thanks for your reply!!

Regards,

Marc
Mills Extra Con

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions