VEST POCKET JAMMED

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

VEST POCKET JAMMED

Postby brucesand4355 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:48 pm

Any suggestions to UN-Jam coin slide which is locked about one inch from completing total PUSH-IN. Locked in this position. Won't move forward or back. Would appreciate any suggestions.
brucesand4355

Re: VEST POCKET JAMMED

Postby damikeguy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:55 pm

Try releasing the small ratchet on the coin slide that's on the cashbox side. You might have to put a little pressure in on the coin slide but not too much. With the ratchet released you should be able to pull the coin slide out
Mike
damikeguy

Postby brucesand4355 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:42 am

Mike:

I tried moving the ratchet up and away from the slide (it is attached to a small spring) and while holding it up and away, the slide just won't move. The position of the slide is about a half inch from the completion of pushing it in with coin. It won't move forward or backward. Should I try to remove the coin tube or some part of it?

Bruce
brucesand4355

Postby Denny » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Why don't you post some pics of the mechanism.
Denny

Postby randyjaco » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:46 pm

Be Very Careful about how much force you apply to anything. That part of the mech has too many zinc parts and they are near impossible to find.

Randy
"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)
randyjaco

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:02 pm

Bruce:
Randy is right. DO NOT force anything, especially with a screwdriver, or the like. Many Pot-Metal parts may look OK,
and smooth on the outside, but will be deteriorating from within. Once you break the surface, your next words will
be "Oh S**t", as you see hundreds of little pieces on the bench. Do send some good closeup pics, so that someone may
be able to determine where your problem lies.
I am not as familiar with Vest Pocket mechs. as others, but from what you mentioned trying earlier, the jamb is most
likely under the coin slide.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby radiorich123 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:21 pm

HI

The vest pocket is prone to jam. I have repaired many. You have to use older worn nickels with out sharp edges,this will help to prevent jams.Located in New Jersey if you want to send the meck to me.

Richard
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby rosekiller454356 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:09 pm

You are right on the money. I acquired a vest pocket 2 weeks ago. Worked very well....no jams although sometimes the reels failed to spin. Then
"whammo" the coin slide got stuck half way into entry. I knew most of the parts were worn (circa 1930's), but could not get the coin slide to go forward
nor return. After much trial and error, I decided to remove the coin mechanism. What I found was a new nickle lodged in the slide. I spent two days
removing and reinstalling; all the time referencing the internet in hopes I would replace it correctly. It is now working again, but I am using only buffalo nickels.
The reels sometimes fail to spin, but at least no further jams have occurred. Only time will tell. Do not use new nickels in these machines !!!!! Should anyone need a good website that has great close up pics of the mechanism, just google mills vest pocket and view the results.
rosekiller454356

Postby radiorich123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:53 pm

HI

I have a photo copy of the manual for $20.00 and free shipping for the vest pocket.

Rich in New Jersey.
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions