Dick DeLong Pirate

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Dick DeLong Pirate

Postby capt7310 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:29 am

Hello, New to the site and just wanted to share. I recently purchased this Dick DeLong carving with the 25 Mills. The machine was a little beat up but I got it up and working nice. Thought it was the coolest machine and I got it for a steal I was at the right place at the right time and the person wanted it gone NOW. I tapped out on the Ballys to many problems with solenoids and relays, now just with the mechanical much more rewarding. I now have 8 machines Mills/Jennings. So I'm not 100% if the machine that's in my carving is the original only because it was a bonus machine "I think". I put that Mills piece where the bonus should be. Any thoughts thanks
Attachments
IMG_4028.JPG
IMG_4026.JPG
IMG_4025.JPG
capt7310

Re: Dick DeLong Pirate

Postby montanaslots » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Yes your machine was a bonus machine, at least the upper casting is. The early high top machines including the early bonus has the type of trim around the jackpot that yours does. A simple explanation would be that the upper casting was replaced with a bonus casting or the whole case could have been a bonus case. I would suspect that just the upper casting in your machine was changed as the award card is the blue color that came on the early Jewel Bell the first high top mills introduced after the war. The jewel bell was a blue and purple color, not pretty but it ran well. Silver reel strips are the correct color for this machine and the while the bonus strips in a high top were silver also they have letters over the fruit symbols on the first reel. A lot of slot machines were broken into and it was the top casting that was broken when machines were broken into. So it is not uncommon to have a casting replaced on a slot machine. Hope this information helps
montanaslots

Postby capt7310 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks for the info. So I was pretty much on target. Have never seen this type of DeLong carving of a pirate so again thank you.
capt7310

Postby montanaslots » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:09 pm

I have never seen the Pirate either, but in Montana we just don't see many of the character slot machines. Many years ago, I had a customer with the one cent Indian QT that needed restoration. I had a friend who knew Dick DeLong and he graciously agree to restore the machine. This is such a rare machine and Dick did an outstanding job . The customer was pleased and of course they would not even consider selling the machine. Enjoy the pirate , it is nice to have a find that will keep you awake at night with excitement. Regards, Dave C aka Montana Slots
montanaslots

Postby capt7310 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:21 am

Hi Dave, Yes when friends or family come over they certainly raise an eyebrow when they see the Pirate....but the response is always the same "Wow that is very cool" and I've had offers but I won't sell it.
PS do you know "Lou" I think he is also Montana Slots I've purchased things from him very nice guy,, and again the Pirate and I thank you for your input..All the best Paul
capt7310

Postby montanaslots » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:44 pm

Lou and I have known each other for almost 40 years. When Lou went into the slot machine business I did the repair work for him for many years . I am retired and split my time between Phoenix and Montana. I still see Lou all the time and do minor repairs for him just for fun.. Lou now has his repair work done by a good friend of mine in Deer Lodge Montana who is also retired. It is still a thrill to go to Lou's showroom and see so many machines in one place.
montanaslots

Postby capt7310 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:40 am

Hi Dave, small world yes that would be Wes Harr I speak with him when every I get a new machine or a question about a machine or share my pics with him, another gentleman of a guy. That's great! Paul
capt7310

Postby MONTI » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:08 pm

capt7310 wrote:Thanks for the info. So I was pretty much on target. Have never seen this type of DeLong carving of a pirate so again thank you.

capt7310!
Welcome to the Forum!
Dick Delong did many different carvings and this picture here below of the Pirate is from a Brochure I carried in my shop to promote his work in about 2005!
He was out of Johnsonburg, PA. at that time!
Last time I spoke to him arthritis was getting the best of him and his son had taken over but it has been a while since then so I don't know if he is still in business!
He also did a lot of Carvings for the Mill's QT!
I still have his brochure in my shop files, have to dig it out!
Being Sicilian my favorite was the Gangster he did special for me, Great Guy!
Ciao!
MONTI

pirate.jpg

1 GUIDO Straight on.jpg

Gangster #1.JPG

Gangster Handle2.JPG
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby capt7310 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:55 am

Hi Monti. That's awesome that you personally knew him. A friend of mine has the cowboy one, and last year I dropped the ball on a Al Capone a few towns over from me, same situation family needed it gone and was asking 2500.00 bucks and I wasn't sure and they said give me 2 grand and it's yours, so I dragged my heels and they sold it that same day for 2500 bucks. So I guess you snooze you lose, so with the pirate I jumped right on it. Monti if you find that brochure and if possible I would love to have a copy of it and keep it with my pirate....Thanks for you input all the best Paul
capt7310

Postby MONTI » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:29 am

capt7310!
Give me a few days and I will go thru my hard files and computer files and see what I can find on Richard DeLong and his son Todd!
There was also an article written about him in Gameroom Magazine in 2006, I believe that was the year and I will search that out as well in my stack of Antique Slot Magazines of yesteryear, as there were many different magazines in the Real Heyday of slots, late 70's, 80's and early 90's, a lot to go thru considering I have been accumulating these documents for 35 to 40 years!
Many celebrities had his carvings which he made out of Bass wood, a type of wood that was local to his state, a couple of the celebrities were Frank Sinatra, Tanya Tucker, Jay Leno, Etc.
He also used glass eye's in his figures in the later years like in the one shown below as well as a couple other photos below, one of a couple cowboys from his literature and a custom made Knight with a Mill's Castle Front he sent me a snapshot of while he was working on it in his shop!
Ciao!
MONTI

Gangster Eyes.JPG

Cowboys.jpeg

KNIGHT.jpeg
Last edited by MONTI on Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Next

Return to Slots