Jennings 5 cent Sun Chief

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Jennings 5 cent Sun Chief

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 pm

I have a 5 cent Sun Chief that will cycle without putting in a nickle. So far, I have not been able to figure out what is going on.
Nick

Re: Jennings 5 cent Sun Chief

Postby mechanic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Pull the handle and watch to see if the nickles move down the escalator. If the nickles do not move the problem may be the escalator is jammed. You will need to clear all the nickles then check to see if the sensing finger is not hung up then insert one nickle and see if it moves when the handle is pulled. If not you have other issues like the operating lever lockout is not engaging thats located on the front right of the mech.
mechanic

Postby Nick » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks for your advice, mechanic.

The nickels do move along the escalator just fine.

Is the operating lever lockout, the horizontal bar that is held back when there is a coin detected by the coin sensor?

I know in normal function that the verticle arm that rests just behind the above mentioned bar must be held back in order for the machine to cycle. If it moves forward (no coin detected) the mech is not supposed to cycle.

Hope I am making sense.
Nick

Postby mechanic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:49 pm

The lockout is the part just to the right of the coin tube as you look at it from the front. It is the front part. This should engage the part right behind it that has the roller bearing on it to prevent the part with the roller bearing from being able to be pushed down and cycle the mech. There is a notch on the front part that keeps the part with the roller bearing locked in until it is released when a coin is inserted.
mechanic

Postby Nick » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Thanks!! Your description helped me to identify the operating lever lock out!!!

Nick
Nick

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions