Requesting help in identifying a slot

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Requesting help in identifying a slot

Postby dougev » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:53 pm

I would like some help to determine if a Lion Head slot that I just purchased is original.
It has a 10 stop mechanism but it has the straight back bar like all the Mills machines from the 40s and 50s.
It has a label inside the case that looks like it was printed in 1933
The jackpot is different than any Mills jackpot that I have worked on.
Based on these 3 pictures do you think that this could be an original Lion Head.
Thank you for any and all help
Dougev
Attachments
2018-12-14 13.39.15.jpg
2018-12-14 13.40.38.jpg
2018-12-14 13.39.56.jpg
dougev

Re: Requesting help in identifying a slot

Postby oldslotman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:24 pm

dougev wrote:I would like some help to determine if a Lion Head slot that I just purchased is original.
It has a 10 stop mechanism but it has the straight back bar like all the Mills machines from the 40s and 50s.
It has a label inside the case that looks like it was printed in 1933
The jackpot is different than any Mills jackpot that I have worked on.
Based on these 3 pictures do you think that this could be an original Lion Head.
Thank you for any and all help
Dougev

Yes it most likely is an original. That jackpot style was also used in the very early war eagles along with that 10 stop mech.
oldslotman

Postby montanaslots » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:44 pm

YES, I also believe this to be original slot machine based on all the machines I have worked on over the years. Using up older parts up at the factory was an economic necessity in the early 1930's and If an operator needed to repair a machine , they would use any parts that would keep the machine running. Dave aka montanaslots
montanaslots

Postby dougev » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Thank you Oldslotman and Montanaslots for you comments.
It is good to know that the jackpot is from the early 30s or late 20s and you both think it is probably an original.
What bothers me is that in slots that I have had before from this vintage, they have had the offset back bar instead of the flat back bar that this one has. Also this one had the handle damper unit in the bottom where early slots that I have had did not have an air damper in the case.
Would the above change your opinions??
Thank you again,
Dougev
dougev

Postby oldslotman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:52 pm

No, I believe it is an original.
oldslotman

Postby Casey » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Not sure if this is where I post but looking for help identifying a slot machine let me know what anybody knows I believe it’s a bursting cherry mills but I think they removed the diamonds and put all cherries in place or it may be reproduction it seems to have the proper age and Petina of an old machine though
Attachments
3C7B99A7-DBB0-4706-99DD-B43C93274453.jpeg
Casey

Postby Shane » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:10 am

It has definitely been altered from its original look. The Cherry clusters are common on Black Cherry machines. A Bursting Cherry is a different Mills machine with a large cherry cluster in the middle with sun rays around it. As you mentioned it appears it may have been a Diamond Front that they replaced the diamonds with Black Cherry clusters.

Shane
Shane

Return to Slots