Caille mech help

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Caille mech help

Postby wallruss001 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm

I purchased a partial Caille mech as I needed some escalator parts for my Cadet. This mech is a 20 stop and has rollers at the end of the reel stops to contact the star wheels. Seems like a great addition and I plan to use this mech now. Any idea of its origin, machine or year introduced? Also the main operating arm is round versus angled where contacting the handle plate.
wallruss001

Re: Caille mech help

Postby marsonion » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 pm

wallruss001 wrote:I purchased a partial Caille mech as I needed some escalator parts for my Cadet. This mech is a 20 stop and has rollers at the end of the reel stops to contact the star wheels. Seems like a great addition and I plan to use this mech now. Any idea of its origin, machine or year introduced? Also the main operating arm is round versus angled where contacting the handle plate.

I also have a Cadet with the roller-stops on it; much quieter and smoother than the "garden hoe" stops that I have found on 90% of the Cadets, and it appears only "hoes" are to be found on every other 1930s Caille Bros. model made before and after the Cadet. The first production year of the Cadets was 1936, also they were the first 20-stop model. I don't know why they started producing the mechs with roller-stops, nor why they quit making them that way; if I had to guess, they might've added the rollers to augment the smooth-and-quiet effect of the hydraulic timer, then quit making them later to cut down on production costs. In my opinion, installing those rollers was an undeniable improvement from every point of view... too bad they didn't continue.
marsonion

Postby clubconsoles » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:27 am

I have just finished making a 1934 Caille 10 stop Dictator mech.
It runs OK now after i rebuilt the Hydraulic Clock and cleaned the gunk from the reel hubs.
I am very confused as to why Caille went to all that effort to replace the clock works with a silent pump and yet allow the reel kicker to Chatter on the reel disks on every spin.
I cannot see how the kicker can pull clear of those reel disks, there simply isnt room as it would then scrape the inside of reel tin #3.
Does anyone know the answer to this??
The video below is my actual machine!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09goPa1piYo
clubconsoles

Postby marsonion » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:39 am

clubconsoles wrote:I have just finished making a 1934 Caille 10 stop Dictator mech.
It runs OK now after i rebuilt the Hydraulic Clock and cleaned the gunk from the reel hubs.
I am very confused as to why Caille went to all that effort to replace the clock works with a silent pump and yet allow the reel kicker to Chatter on the reel disks on every spin.
I cannot see how the kicker can pull clear of those reel disks, there simply isnt room as it would then scrape the inside of reel tin #3.
Does anyone know the answer to this??
The video below is my actual machine!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09goPa1piYo

Attached is a snapshot of my Dictator mech viewed from the rear. At the location indicated by the green arrow, you should find a pin projecting from the side of the gooseneck just under the rim of the third reel; this pin serves to raise the kicker flap to clear the payout wheels, which should spin silently. If this pin is missing, you ought to find the threaded hole in which it is seated; a little threaded rod (such as a machine screw with the head ground off) can easily be substituted. BTW I had noticed this in Alex's video-- the sound of the flap dangling on the payout wheels-- but neglected to mention it to him, among all the other entertaining trivia we discussed...
Attachments
kickerStop.JPG
marsonion

Postby clubconsoles » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:37 pm

Many thanks Marsonion.
I have been trying to get the answer for weeks on this question both here on our UK pennymachines forum!!

You are a Credit to this Forum, I thank you Sir.
see the close up of mine that is, indeed, missing that pin!!
Attachments
3ce67af4-79b4-4dfd-88b5-77c14e83c7ce.jpg
clubconsoles

Postby wallruss001 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:56 pm

Thanks to you both. I agree Caille should keep the rollers. I do have the pin on both mechs and it actually works as designed. I did drain, clean, and refil the regulator but still did not have the resistance needed to time properly. On the
"needle valve" taper there was a high spot built up and a small pitted spot allowing too much fluid to pass to quickly. Light wire brushing corrected that. The reel kicker advances forward at the beginning of a cycle several inches which causes a very short kick. Seems both mechs share the same movement. Sure appreciate the experience Marsonion and the video.
wallruss001

Postby youngjedi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:23 pm

I love my Dictator. Plays flawlessly. No a fan of the pump, but works nicely. I do have pump rebuild kits if anyone needs. It includes top crank bracket, inner push rod and inner crank. Kits are 55.00 if needed. The top crank. Lever for the mech timing does not have a hole drilled through for pin. That needs to be don at time of assembly.
youngjedi

Return to Slots