Gum Ball Side Vender for Penny Roman Head?

This is the place where pictures of all kinds of Coin Operated devices will be placed. This forum open as of 4/7/2005

Gum Ball Side Vender for Penny Roman Head?

Postby flipper77 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Just was offered a Penny Roman Head fully original but without the side vender. All of the internal vender linkage there but no side vender. Does anyone have a picture of a one cent Roman Head with side vender? Just wondered if the penny machine had a different vender (gumball) than the nickel Roman Head? Any info appreciated as I am on the fence whether to buy the machine or not.

Thanks,
Flip
flipper77

Re: Gum Ball Side Vender for Penny Roman Head?

Postby thepennyarcade » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Hey Flip
I restored my original Mills 1ct Roman Front with Gum Vendor a few years back.
This is how it ended up
Best
John

PS not a gum ball vendor but the individual gum stick, like a juicy fruit stick of gum.
Attachments
Mills Roman Front.png
thepennyarcade

Postby flipper77 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks John. Gorgeous machine. Impressive painting and finishing skill. Have not seen a side vender that vends stick gum - wonder if that is normal for the many one cent Roman Heads in US?
flipper77

Postby watlingboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:19 am

To my knowledge, Mills never made a gumball side vender. Venders which vend stick gum is all I have ever seen on Mills machines. I have probably seen 3 or 4 untouched original Mills 1 cent Blue Fronts with venders over the years and they had sword venders, which is correct, and they vended stick gum. The stick gum venders look very similar from the outside to the mint venders. Any Mills penny machine should have the stick gum vender to be correct. No manufactureer would have put a vender on a machine that vended a roll of mints for a penny. I would think the correct vender for the 1 cent Roman Head would be very hard to find.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby flipper77 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 am

Great info and what I would have expected. In all the shows I attended and online ads, I had never seen a gum ball Mills vender on a full sized machine. So now have to decide the Roman Head value without a vender. Anyone care to estimate value of nice original Roman Head one cent? Have seen lots of these with the plate over the side vender hole. But just wanted to confirm what was original.

Appreciate all of the info.

Flip
flipper77

Postby watlingboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:43 am

I think you need to add additional information. Unrestored machine, restored, needs to be restored. Is it an original penny, many Mills have been converted to a penny. And are you sure it had a side vender? You mentioned it had all the vender linkage. You need 3 parts for the vender to work, the vender, the trip bar which is mounted to the inside of the case and the trip arm which is on the mech. Mills put that aluminum cover on most of their machines so a vender could be added, they also put the vender trip arm on the mech. Just because it has the cover doesn't mean it had a vender. Watling put the trip arm on their mechs but did't put the little flipper on the end of the arm unless that mech was going in a machine with a vender. That was because a vender could easily be added to a Mills but not to a Rol-A-Top so no use to put the complete trip arm on if it wasn't going on a machine with a vender. Look at the side of the case and see if it has the extra holes where a vender was mounted. Also check Dave's Price Guide. I would imagine there is a penny Roman Head listed in there.

Gooid luck with your find.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby flipper77 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Here goes : yes, definitely original Penny Roman Head. Yes, does have all of the internal vender linkage. No side plate - the arm out to the vender visible in the side hole and the parts are on the mech and inside cabinet. The OK Vender plate present under the handle. Correct flat handle. Cabinet in fair original condition with the stenciled sides. Original back door with original mills lock and key. Original cash box with original mills lock and key locking plate. Original fortune strips with the fortunes horizontal across symbols rather than angled as on my War Eagle vender. Gold Award mechanism present fully operating. Serial 356xxx on casting and on inside tag. Bad award card and horrible paint - some operator must have been clueless to repaint. Brownish gold head with dirty grey and dark red colors. Wish it was decent original paint as I would always leave it that way but will have to be redone. Would post a picture but looked at it without my camera and my phone images too large and bad quality.

Any info appreciated.

Flip
flipper77

Postby flipper77 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:53 am

Continued to ask questions about Penny Side vender for 30's Mills and then saw one on eBay. So maybe Mills did make full sized gumball side vender as some have suggested. Appears to be on nickel machine which seems wrong so is this a fake vender by chance?
Attachments
penny vender.jpg
penny sword vender.jpg
flipper77

Postby JPCass » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:27 pm

flipper77 wrote:The OK Vender plate present under the handle.

Are you saying older Mills slots fitted for venders might have an OK Vender plate under the handle? I just finally got around to stripping the old case paint off the 1934 Extraordinary (dated by its original Worlds Fair reel strips) that I've been restoring, which has the holes and slot for a vendor (though no sign one was ever installed), and found that it has nail holes under the handle for a plate about 3" square.

The picture of an Extaordinary in Fey's book on page 123 shows some sort of plate, just like in this picture of a recent restoration - so is it just a standard OK Vendor plate?

from http://www.coinopcollectorforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6791
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
Restoring early Mills 5c Firebird (large coin view window)
About to take on a Mills 5c Vest Pocket
JPCass

Return to Pictures