Page 1 of 1

part wanted jennings slot machine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:14 pm
by markm
I have a Jennings Sun Chief with a broken part. it's a small part on the mechanisn that has two small ears, to hold two large springs (on handle side of mech). One of the ears has broken off, now the escalator won't advance.
Any assistance would be much appreciated.
-Mark

Re: part wanted jennings slot machine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 pm
by marsonion
Ah yes-- I know that part well. When I got my Club Chief, I found a loose spring rolling around inside the cabinet and thought, "Great! The seller sent me an extra spring!" Then I set the thing on its stand and found it wouldn't play. What a drag. Being a newbie (and an idiot), looking over the mech from every angle didn't help me much in discovering the problem. Luckily, I quickly searched the web and found Dave's Youtube video on "How to Unjam a Jennings" and noticed where my "extra" spring should be attached. One "horn" on that cowskull-shaped part had busted off so cleanly it didn't look broken at all.

My quick-fix, which only took a few minutes, was to take a large washer and grind it into a "T" shape with the hole in the middle, then bent the "horns" ("ears" if you like) forward to hook the two nearly parallel springs. That worked fine; the Jennings suddenly worked flawlessly as they tend to do, and I then proceeded to badger the seller until he sent me a proper replacement part several weeks later.

I'll post the part number for you tomorrow if you like. I don't have the service catalogue handy right now.



markm wrote:I have a Jennings Sun Chief with a broken part. it's a small part on the mechanisn that has two small ears, to hold two large springs (on handle side of mech). One of the ears has broken off, now the escalator won't advance.
Any assistance would be much appreciated.
-Mark

Re: part wanted jennings slot machine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 pm
by marsonion
Does anyone know a catalog number (or even a name) for the broken doodad indicated by the upper arrow? My copy of a Jennings service catalog doesn't appear to list this thing. Though the previous owner of the machine kindly sent me a replacement part, he couldn't identify it either except by my description. Maybe we can call it the "cowskull" 'cause that's sort of what it looks like when it has both "horns" intact. At any rate, it's such a WYSIWYG item that anyone with a really big OD washer and a grinding wheel and a hammer can quickly fabricate a functional replacement such as I describe above.

Re: part wanted jennings slot machine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:25 pm
by kepmr
I belive the part number is V4-723 spring pull clip. I found that number in Tom Krahls Catalog

Re: part wanted jennings slot machine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:07 pm
by WS65711
I agree with kepmr. I have three books about my Bronze Chief, and this is the info I was able to locate concerning that part . . .

Pictorial.jpg


Picture.jpg


Description1.jpg


Description2.jpg

Re: part wanted jennings slot machine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:28 pm
by marsonion
THANKS kepmr, WS65711! Now the OP can get the thing fixed.

As for me, looks like my Jennings service catalog (a ratty stat that looks like it's been recopied at least four generations over) is missing several pages...
#-o

Re: part wanted jennings slot machine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:16 am
by WS65711
Here is a link to a pdf version of one of the Jennings books that I have. Your part appears on page 21.

http://rwatts.cdyn.com/download/Jennings%20Chief%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Re: part wanted jennings slot machine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 pm
by marsonion
Yep, that PDF is just as far gone as the hard copy I've got. On mine, though, page 19 is backed with page 22, so pgs. 20-21 are missing... BUT my copy does include a page 11, "Cabinet Parts," which is a total blank on the PDF.

Still, that website is a good resource. I'll return to it more often. Thanks again.



WS65711 wrote:Here is a link to a pdf version of one of the Jennings books that I have. Your part appears on page 21.

http://rwatts.cdyn.com/download/Jennings%20Chief%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Re: part wanted jennings slot machine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:31 am
by WS65711
marsonion wrote:Yep, that PDF is just as far gone as the hard copy I've got. On mine, though, page 19 is backed with page 22, so pgs. 20-21 are missing... BUT my copy does include a page 11, "Cabinet Parts," which is a total blank on the PDF . . .


Your comments prompted me to compare the printed bound copy of the parts catalog that I bought (from Bernie Berten I think) to the PDF copy from the website link that I provided. The printed copy is much clearer, and some of the pages are in a different sequence than the PDF copy. Also, I noticed that none on the pages in the printed/bound copy that I bought have page numbers on them.