Page 1 of 1

Mint Vendor Linkage Watling

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:31 am
by flipper77
Hoping someone can help. I have a late 20's Watling Four Column Mint Vendor and it is missing the linkage from the vendor back to where the mech trips the lever each play. Vendor works and mech has the trip - just missing the mount and linkage. Long shot that someone may have an extra. What I am hoping is that someone has an older Watling and can send a photo of this on their machine. Should not be too difficult to fabricate if I knew what it looked like. Different than my later Blue Seal and Rol-A-Top front vendor. Thanks in advance - Flip

Re: Mint Vendor Linkage Watling

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:51 am
by gsx11r
Hi Flip
You are right , it s a very strange link on your !
I have a poor Photo in my library !! :oops:
If this can help you , I m happy ; but I can t make better !
I have check my Watling Four Column Mint Vendor ( the same of your ) but not the same linkage ( A blue seal link !! ) !
And If some one have a Lock for the front casting Or some Photos for try to make one , or any info , please let me know !! [-o<
Stephane
Picture11-1.png

Re: Mint Vendor Linkage Watling

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:30 am
by flipper77
Stephane - that actually helps. A lot! Now I have an idea of the shape and movement which helps before I start bending metal. Your assistance much appreciated!

Flip

Re: Mint Vendor Linkage Watling

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:08 am
by flipper77
Wanted to wrap up this post and offer my appreciation for the valuable information available from fellow collectors. I had no idea what the vender reset linkage on this Watling looked like so posted a plea for help. Several offered info and Stephane took the time to take a picture and post. A very skilled slot mechanic I am fortunate enough to know made me the linkage just by looking at Stephane's picture. Here it is - works great. Thanks to all and especially to Stephane!

Flip

Re: Mint Vendor Linkage Watling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:59 am
by gsx11r
Hi Flip
Very nice job !! Congratulation !
If you need more pictures , I have a nice complet Mech with Future pay (unrestored) for this four columns !!

If you have some pictures about the front lock , you are welcome ! It s the only one part missing on mine !! :(
I will try to make one ! Or maybe someone have one to sell to me ?? :occasion5:

Stephane

Re: Mint Vendor Linkage Watling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:09 am
by flipper77
Here are pictures of the vendor front lock. Shown in open and closed position and from above. Fairly standard looking lock. Mine was missing key but an old NCR key does work.
Hope it answers a few questions.

Flip

Re: Mint Vendor Linkage Watling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:05 am
by watlingboy
The lock in you mint vender front is actually not a lock. You can insert anything in it and turn it to open. Inserting a screw driver and turning swings that locking bar from side to side. This is the same type of knife throw lock which Watling used on their Rol-A-Top gumball venders and Blue Seal gumballs venders. The odd thing is the Rol-A-Top mint vender doors took a Corbin lock and key to open. The difference between the Rol-A-Top gumball cover and the Blue Seal vender cover was the vender cover has a brass sleeve on it because it id set back for locking purposes and the gumball cover just has the lock pressed onto the steel cover. The reason so many Blue Seals machines have shown up over the years with front covers missing was because the fronts were so easily removed. I think if they had used an actual lock like Mills did, more would have survived complete. This knife type lock was never used for anything else as Watling made it for their machines. Because it was not used commercially for anything else, finding one is very difficult unless someone is parting out a machine or it is found among a bunch of slot parts.

Watlingboy

Re: Mint Vendor Linkage Watling

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:35 am
by gsx11r
Hi
Flipper77 , MERCI !!!!! Thank you so much ! :thumbup: :salute:
I will try to make one !

Watlingboy , thank you for the info ! I think that I will search this lock a long time !! :Hangman:
I have a rol-a-top gumball cover , nearly the same but not the same , but this one will help me also for make a repro !
thank you again ! :occasion5:
Stephane
lock 1.jpg

lock 2.jpg