Columbia Payout Gear Questions

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Columbia Payout Gear Questions

Postby jxmos » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:27 am

Hello,

I've had a Red Columbia Gold Award machine for 30 years, but it stopped working around 15 years ago and I just let it sit. This week I decided to finally take it a part and id the issue. The previous owner appears to have used grease that has gotten tacky over the years. It's typically not an issue to clean tacky grease as long as the pieces can be separated.

My problem is that the A71 payout gear is mounted on a bearing shaft that is really gummed up and hard to turn. I thought I'd ask the experts about this assembly before I continue.

I've attached a photo.

I've loosened the bearing shaft by removing the hold down screw in the frame but the shaft does not come out. It will spin a 1/4 turn and stop. I assume there's a bur holding it in the frame or perhaps it should drop out the bottom of the frame mount? I'm not sure if the silver washer on top is threaded or pressed onto the center bearing? Should the washer pop off? Should I be able to slide A71 up and off the bearing shaft? It's hard to tell without an exploded view of the shaft and bearing.

Thank you for any assistance,

IMG_8599.JPG
Columbia A71 part
jxmos

Re: Columbia Payout Gear Questions

Postby radiorich123 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:37 am

HI I had the same problem so I applied heat to it and it came apart.
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby oldslotman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:41 am

Give it a shot of PB Blaster. Should break down the grease
oldslotman

Postby jxmos » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks Gentlemen! A hairdrier, some liquid wrench, and small vice grips did the trick!

Here's a picture of the pieces removed. The shaft is different than I had imaged. I had assumed it would be the same diameter for the full length of the shaft. But you can see two different diameters. The real hold up for me was the aluminum washer / retainer. Mine was actually friction pressed onto the smaller top diameter of the shaft. So heat helped to release the washer from gunk underneath and vice grips allowed me to twist and pull it up the shaft.

Once the retainer was off I still needed heat to loosen the gear from the lower part of the shaft. The grease in the bearing was so dry is was almost a solid. Once the grease was removed the gear now turns freely on the shaft.

I'll buff the dents out of the washer, add some clock oil to the parts and reassemble.

Thanks again for your guidance!!!

IMG_8618.JPG
jxmos

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions