Info requested-Mills QT with side vendor

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Info requested-Mills QT with side vendor

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Hello,

I found a true "barn find" the other day in a little farm town. I am not familiar at all with Mills QT's and honestly had never had a chance to check one out in person. This one has a pretty nice case, needs to be made solid again, and what appears to be a fairly complete mech. There is a side vendor that is a little different than what I have seen in my googling mainly due to this one has a center divider almost like it dispensed Chiclets or something like that rather than gumballs I see if a QT has a side vendor.

I have gotten the mech to cycle though as you can see it needs a deep cleaning! The mech appears pretty complete but does show something was removed over the years on the rear side of the mech which I assume might be a meter of sorts to show how many cycles the mech has made. This is missing the back door, cash box, and sadly the front cover. I know it will be a needle in the haystack to find a front cover but hope to get this complete.

In my search for identifying the slot, I believe it to be a Chevron but not sure if it could be the 21 star Chevron or not. The reels are non traditional and most of the QT's I found searching on Google/Ebay have the fruits. This one has symbols. Also this appears to have a factory black stain/finish to the case which most I have found are stained. What in the world is it???? There are a few numbers stamped on the case which is strange to me. On one side, 3002 is stamped. The opposite side 8002 is stamped. The front area around the payout tray 186 is stamped twice.

So I have a lot of questions! My goal would be to make this whole unless it just doesn't make sense financially. If the front cover is crazy expensive, I may consider parting it out. If you can help with the questions, I greatly appreciate it! I will include a link to my Google photos for this slot with detailed pics.

1. What is it and how can you identify the model?
2. What is the best method to solidifying the case? Is it as simple as loosening the hardware bolted to it, put some glue in the joints, make sure it is flat and square then use bar clamps to squeeze the wood together? I was going to dis-assemble the case completely, make the sides, etc solid then glue/assemble the case together.
3. Is there a source for the cast cover? Anyone making repro?
4. The side vendor is missing the top cover. Anyone have an original or know who to contact about a repro?
5. Unfortunately the side vendor is broke in the area where the padlock would go through to secure the top to the base of the vendor. Part of the loop is missing the padlock would go through the base of the vendor. I know this is pretty common however is this repairable?
6. Is there resources for the padlocks for the side vendor whether original or repro?
7. Source for original back doors, locks, and cashbox? I would consider repro.
8. Is there a good all around manual/resource for QT slots? Geddes/Mead Does a really nice job on manuals for most slots but they dont seems to have one for the QT. I'd like one manual that covers disassembly of the mech, escalator etc.
9. In the link to the pics below, there were a couple of pieces that didn't appear to belong to the slot but am curious if they do and if so where they go? They are pictured together. One is a round cover and the other is a triangular piece of metal.

Below is a link to the pics Let me know if I can provide further pics! Thanks for your help!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ddB2sBzNgBJgARBT7
ThirdGenAmusement

Re: Info requested-Mills QT with side vendor

Postby atac » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:43 pm

It's likely a 21-star "firebird". They had black cases. The serial # is 3002. I'm not going to go over each question--you are going to need a lot of help. Very unlikely to find the front casting. The side vender divider is correct for gumballs, which were usually on 1c machines. Mead/Geddes did make a QT book - ebay item # 133471407174. Good luck!
atac

Re: Info requested-Mills QT with side vendor

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:52 pm

atac wrote:It's likely a 21-star "firebird". They had black cases. The serial # is 3002. I'm not going to go over each question--you are going to need a lot of help. Very unlikely to find the front casting. The side vender divider is correct for gumballs, which were usually on 1c machines. Mead/Geddes did make a QT book - ebay item # 133471407174. Good luck!

Thank you! Lots of help is correct! Lol. Thanks for the info and link to the manual. I will check it out.
ThirdGenAmusement

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions