Powder coating

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Powder coating

Postby Ttheer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:21 am

Restoration experts - have you used powder coating and what were your thoughts on the finished products.

Regards
Tim
Ttheer

Re: Powder coating

Postby Ttheer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:27 am

Is it a good idea to powder coat the castings on your slot?
Ttheer

Postby radiorich123 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:12 am

Well the original slots were not powder coated. I would no powder coat my slots.

Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby jmisatu » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:05 am

I did some research about hammered finishes which of course many of Mills machines were finished with. Some of the powder coaters have hammered available although the color selection is limited severely it seems. If powder coatings were available back in the days of these antique machines being produced they would probably have had those finishes on them, maybe even catalyzed urethanes or epoxies. If a complete stripping of old finish has been done and the look of original can be achieved with a modern high performance coating I would go for it myself.
I still prefer a slightly worn look and originality wherever possible.

Jim
jmisatu

Postby RameGoom » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 am

I powder coat almost exclusively, with a few exceptions.

My favorite machines to restore are tab gum machines. Powder seems to make them pop.

Also, any slot that has a black-wrinkle finish or gray hammer-tone finish, I will powder coat those. Other colors, not usually.

Here are a number of gum machines I restored in powder. With the Pulver, I powder coated the yellow, made a graphics stencil, then rattle-can-brown painted the graphics. Then an overcoat of automotive semi-clear to give it the final appearance.

sweetstuff01web.jpg
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby Ttheer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:07 pm

Great job
Ttheer

Postby wallruss001 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:50 pm

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
I have powder coated two machines. The Jennings was terribly pitted and moisture damaged, the Caille already had 3 brush coats of paint, all bad. Since these were gifts to my kids, they picked the color. I would investigate the work or recommendations of who will be doing the work. The original coater who did the Jennings moved out of town, the second shop did not prep as well.
I would not powder coat a original machine in decent shape.

Howard
Attachments
IMG_0003.jpg
wallruss001

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions