Mills Mech Help on finding correct parts ID source

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Mech Help on finding correct parts ID source

Postby lost in NJ » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:47 am

This machine has been in the family for a very long time. Story is my fathers uncle owned a bar and this slot was in it. My father is from Utica, NY and it has the Roberts Novelty Jackpot front. Roberts was in Utica. This poor machine has been fixed over the years by my brother and father using what we had laying around. Keep in mind we do car restoration as a hobby and are all fairly good at mechanical stuff. I have repaired many late model pins and a few Seeburg Jukes. I do board level electronics repair.

I have been having troubles with slugs getting caught in the neck. They were over running each other. These slugs are thinner then a real quarter. After looking at the coin slot and running some real quarters I believe my solution is to run real quarters.

My other problem was making the jackpot part work. I thought I needed some piece that mounted on the front of the cabinet. Turns out when I tool out the coin tube I found this odd cast brass part that goes on top the wire from the jackpot slide. So I found the solution to that problem. I believe there is a special coin diverter that mounts to the casting at the top of the coin tube. One ear of this casting (I believe it to be a better quality pot metal) is broken. I am going to make a bracket and fix this issue.

Eventually I will want to rebuild this mech. My goal is to not fully restore it, but to mechanically get it back and leave the patina. One side wood is split and the base wood is split. I believe I can glue and clamp them back.

So first I need to properly identify the mech and then get what ever documentation that allows me to figure the correct set of springs I will need to replace them. Also some of the parts are very worn like the pawl that yanks the reels to start them spinning. I need to know which parts are wise to replace. Some parts do not seem to do much.

What book will show me all the parts of this machine? There is a Mills pdf I have been directed to from the Facebook slot group, but that is for a newer mech and nothing matches.

Where are the best places to get parts? Among many things, I need to fix the back cabinet lock, might just need a key. I need the cover that goes behind the neck. There are some pieces in the neck that are made up and I might need most of a neck.

I would appreciate any help you all can give me. Thanks!!
Attachments
IMG_2348.JPG
Springs
IMG_2365.JPG
Lever on Cabinet
IMG_2371.JPG
Jackpot trip
IMG_2362.JPG
Jackpot back
IMG_2368.JPG
IMG_2349.JPG
Lever stuff
IMG_2346.JPG
Coin Chute
IMG_2340.JPG
Side View
IMG_2335.JPG
Face Plate
IMG_2338.JPG
Mech Front View
lost in NJ

Re: Mills Mech Help on finding correct parts ID source

Postby lost in NJ » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:46 pm

Minor update.

I made a bracket to hold the jackpot diverter and got a slightly larger metric screw to hole the top of the tube to the frame.

Oiled it up some and put it back in the housing.

I do not have a key for it the original lock. My brother probably took it apart like 50 years ago. So I made a dummy cylinder on my lathe and a new latch slider to replace the missing part. Now I can close the back with a screwdriver to latch it.

Started cleaning it and found I am taking off decades of cigarette tar. YUK. I had to do this on my 53 Seeburg Jukebox. Had to be real careful on the juke cause it still has the original pattern on it.

Dug through my change jar for a bunch of quarters. I started loading them in and its a good house machine giving me 2 back every few dollars. I am likely to have to get a couple of rolls of quarters to fully load the tube and jackpot bins. I would like to bring it upstairs but I have to find a sturdy table.
lost in NJ

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions