Caille Dictator

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Caille Dictator

Postby dogo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:13 am

Hello,
I recently picked up this machine. Everything works fine except for the coin acceptance. It rejects probably 30% of dimes inserted. I can't seem to find a pic of this particular mech. Not sure if it is missing something or just wear & tear. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Don
Attachments
IMG_20210316_101108885.jpg
IMG_20210316_101052859.jpg
dogo

Re: Caille Dictator

Postby BALTMANHD103 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:07 am

I have several Cailles and have found they prefer the coins from there time period the 1 nickel machine works with some of the newer ones but if I try and use the newest they are rejected.
BALTMANHD103

Postby radiorich123 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:04 am

Try using old dimes. 1964 OR OLDER.

Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby marsonion » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:40 pm

dogo wrote:Hello,
I recently picked up this machine. Everything works fine except for the coin acceptance. It rejects probably 30% of dimes inserted. I can't seem to find a pic of this particular mech. Not sure if it is missing something or just wear & tear. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Don

I also have a dime Dictator. Snags in the coin-detector/gooseneck assembly are often very slight adjustment issues: watch for the "nose" of the coin detector, and make sure it pulls back all the way and doesn't get dimes backed-up on top of it here and there, because though you can put in and play two dimes in a row, a third dime will get rejected. To adjust the spacing of the gooseneck to the detector claw, reset the length of the diagonal brace at the rear of the coin entry. Also, on mine, the magnet seemed to exert some influence on modern dimes (though it shouldn't) and I removed it (but didn't throw it away!) with the effect that dimes were rarely rejected in its absence.

Please post more pictures of your Dictator, incl. the cabinet! 8)
marsonion

Postby dogo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:18 pm

Thanks for all the input. I don't think I can afford enough silver dimes to run the machine long. I have had problems with newer dimes jamming in other machines and older ones work fine but this one doesn't jam, they just bounce out the opening in the side. Maybe adjusting that diagonal brace will slow the dimes down and help. It seems as if with the mech on the bench if I drop the coins closer to the mech they don't reject as badly. But if I drop them from higher they reject more frequently.
IMG_20210312_093711775.jpg
IMG_20210316_150724836.jpg
IMG_20210316_150745116.jpg
dogo

Postby marsonion » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:40 pm

dogo wrote:Thanks for all the input. I don't think I can afford enough silver dimes to run the machine long. I have had problems with newer dimes jamming in other machines and older ones work fine but this one doesn't jam, they just bounce out the opening in the side. Maybe adjusting that diagonal brace will slow the dimes down and help. It seems as if with the mech on the bench if I drop the coins closer to the mech they don't reject as badly. But if I drop them from higher they reject more frequently.

I see several differences between your coin entry/gooseneck assembly and mine... for one, it appears that your diagonal brace isn't adjustable; it can only be bent to alter its effective length. Another difference is yours features a large red horseshoe magnet, while mine has a small, black HM. More pertinent to your problem though, is that your big HM forms a floor along which the coins are ramped to the coin detector, and I think they're riding that magnetic surface straight to the slug box, yet removing the magnet on yours would likely cause the dimes to drop straight through to the same rejection-dump. If it were me, I'd remove the magnet and replace it with an aluminum shim shaped in such a way that the coins couldn't miss the detector area. I'd save every part I'd removed in the coin box, though.

Thanks for the pictures! You appear to have a very complete and original machine with very clean paper in it (could be MFP repros, but I doubt it). Do you have any shots which include your coin entry casting? Mine has a mantle-clock casting, but I'd much prefer the hexagonal kind.
Attachments
frontview.jpg
marsonion

Postby dogo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'll tinker with it some more. It can't be anything major. And sorry I cut off the top of the machine. Mine has the same coin entry as yours.
dogo

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions