Mills QT Jackpot Help

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills QT Jackpot Help

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:16 pm

So fill me in on how a Mills QT - 5 cent Chevron in this case - fills its double jackpot.

Right now it is only routing coin to the left JP (when viewed from the front). Is this correct....does it fills the left one up first and then do the right one? Or should it be alternating and is not doing that for some reason?

If it is suppose to alternate sides on each coin please enlighten me on what mechanism makes it switch from side to side.

Thanks!
WoodrailFanatic

Re: Mills QT Jackpot Help

Postby rtmccurdy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:47 pm

It should alternate and it could be a few issues. Underneath the copper chute there is a small lever that needs to be behind the small flap (as pictured). Also the left side ratchet might me missing a spring. Sometimes the two rods in that area are frozen as well. A picture would help.
Attachments
PXL_20210423_024041145.MP.jpg
rtmccurdy

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:17 pm

rt,

Thanks for the prompt reply, the photo and the suggestions.

This is my first QT so bear with me.

Are you saying that the element that rides on those two long rods to the left should be moving back and forth? I am seeing no movement of it when the machine is cycled.....and the chute does not make any lateral movement at all.

Here are some photos....

I very much appreciate your help.
Attachments
imagejpeg_2(4).jpg
imagejpeg_1(8).jpg
imagejpeg_0(28).jpg
WoodrailFanatic

Postby rtmccurdy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:00 pm

The cam (with the old grease in the center) should rotate and that in turn cause the flap that interacts with the coin chute to shift. That causes the chute to move slightly left and right to fill the jackpots. That operation relies on the ratchet mechanism on the far left on each pull. Take a picture of the left front when you have a minute.
rtmccurdy

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:09 pm

rt,

Ah, thank you....you have pointed me exactly where I needed to be looking to better understand things. I can rotate that cam on the rod with my finger....and that does articulate the chute as it should. It is not rotating when the mech cycles.

And I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that I might be missing a spring...a couple of photos attached. I assume on the first one that there should be a spring running from the stud on the left to the one on the right?

I really appreciate your help.
Attachments
DSC01195.JPG
DSC01196.JPG
WoodrailFanatic

Postby rtmccurdy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:59 pm

Yes, that spring is missing on the underside. I'm away for a bit so I can't send a pic. I may have an extra spring in my QT parts stash also. Also the top spring looks incorrect. Will keep you posted.
rtmccurdy

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:27 pm

rt,

No hurry on my end....whenever it is convenient for you.

Thanks!
WoodrailFanatic

Postby WoodrailFanatic » Sun May 16, 2021 5:10 pm

Just wanted to close the loop on this.

Thanks to a lot of good advice from rt and the generous donation of a spring I was missing I have this problem resolved and my Mills QT jackpot is now filling appropriately on both sides.

A bit tip of the hat to rt for his generous support.
WoodrailFanatic

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions