Mills Vest Pocket - Door lock "catch" question and more!

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Mills Vest Pocket - Door lock "catch" question and more!

Postby shortrackskater » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:01 am

I just realized I have a case (see photo - stolen from eBay since I'm not home) that has the cam lock catch as part of the case, and not part of the reel window frame. This particular VP has an earlier serial number (7623) while the higher numbered units seem to have the catch as part of that frame. I wonder why they stopped making that as part of the case? Was it too easy to break open the door I wonder?
This case is also much lighter than my other VP's. It weighs about the same as one I have that appears to be polished aluminum.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Last edited by shortrackskater on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shortrackskater

Re: Mills Vest Pocket - Door lock "catch" question

Postby shortrackskater » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Anyone???

I know this is the only decent forum for discussion of antique mechanical slot machines. There are still some of us "newbies" (well new to mechanical, not as much in age!) that would love to learn more so we can pass it on to future members.
shortrackskater

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:57 pm

As we know, Mills and the other makes made modifications to their machines as the model production progressed.
I have 2 later model VPs (38xxx and 48xxx); the lock catch is part of the window frame; seems to me that would be stronger than a simple lip on the case center section.
nvmos2

Postby shortrackskater » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:55 am

nvmos2 wrote:As we know, Mills and the other makes made modifications to their machines as the model production progressed.
I have 2 later model VPs (38xxx and 48xxx); the lock catch is part of the window frame; seems to me that would be stronger than a simple lip on the case center section.

Thanks nvmos2!
The rest of mine are later models with the window frame catch as well. I've been organizing my pile of 6 Vest Pockets to see how many I can make (looks to be 3) and that's when I realized the difference in the case with the early model which is just four digits. I have a couple of Dave's repo back doors. They definitely are not just "plug and play" so to speak. It took me quite a long time just to get one to fit on a later model case. It's great he has them, but they're thicker than the original, which required considerable grinding, filing and sanding. I also used some epoxy as filler for the pitting. I wish I was a better metal worker! And the "regular" back doors won't fit on the earlier version since those cases have that cam catch that protrudes from the top.
I'd LOVE to have a book written on the Vest Pocket that shows it's progression from the early models to the Sega version. I read little bits and pieces from older forum members but it would be nice to see it all together.
shortrackskater

Postby nvmos2 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:09 pm

lol....... I've bought many parts only to find out they did not fit the application intended for.

I looked through Coin Slot Guide 13 (Vest Pocket);
it gives a lot of good info, but I did not see anything on changes to the case design.
Seems like that's a fine detail point that most guys have not looked into or documented.
nvmos2

Re: Mills Vest Pocket - Door lock "catch" question and more!

Postby shortrackskater » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:11 pm

I've never actually seen anyone post on the back door catch either. Perhaps there's just not enough interest in these tiny little slot machine?!
The early model I have is s/n 3179. Somewhere I did read on the internet a list of s/n's and dates but I have no clue where it was.
Here's a shot of my Vest Pockets - Two restored in my room and then four more complete, two parts units, and one case (with lids and original feet in great shape!).
Attachments
IMG_0960.jpg
IMG_0962.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg
shortrackskater

Return to Slots