AWARD CARDS DIFFER ON SAME MODEL SLOT

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

AWARD CARDS DIFFER ON SAME MODEL SLOT

Postby Marcellous » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:47 pm

I often see machines that look entirely authentic, down to the award card. Why are some shown with as an example: 9-10 Oranges, 13-14 Plums, 17-18 Bells and 19-20 Bars when other machines that are the SAME MODEL show the standard: 3-5-10-14-18-20? Did they make a slight change in the mechanism to pay out correctly or has the award card been changed on these models? Also, the cherry payout on some cards are 4 and 2 instead of 5 and 3.
Marcellous

Re: AWARD CARDS DIFFER ON SAME MODEL SLOT

Postby quadibloc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:42 pm

One thing to remember is the definition of the term "authentic". In addition to slot machine manufacturers making many different variations of reel strip and payout card for the same case style and mechanism of slot machine, there were also third-party companies that did revamps. So if the Buckley Criss-Cross and Jennings Tic Tac Toe are wildly popular in 1948? Other companies will happily make the requisite alterations to your Pace or Mills machine. Since those alterations are made before those machines were used for gambling, not later on by people selling to collectors to increase their value, that's still authentic - but it is post-manufacturer.
quadibloc

Re: AWARD CARDS DIFFER ON SAME MODEL SLOT

Postby mazzeosa17 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:49 pm

I've read in some of the various slot machine books that some machines reflect this payout range because the thickness of different coins in the payout tubes could cause a variation in the payout. So I would think the Operator would request this type of award card from the manufacturer, or make those cards themselves, to reflect that variation. Also, I think the silver coins of that time period (10, 25 and 50 cent) would wear more than the copper-nickel coins that started to be issued in 1965.
mazzeosa17

Return to Slots