Bally e-1000 problem

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Bally e-1000 problem

Postby georgetwo9223 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:02 pm

I am trying to repair a Bally E-1000 series slot for a customer. The only thing I see when it is powered on is the 5th position led is a zero, other than that, it doesn't seem to be going through the power up self test. I rebuilt the power supply and replaced all capacitors on the main board and the battery which was not corroded. The boards are very clean, so I don't suspect any type of corrosion damage. I'm leaning toward the possibility that the cpu chip, 2650A could be bad, and am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on whatever else I can suspect before purchasing this expensive chip. All the voltages are correct. Also, if there is someone who may have a working main board for sale, I may be interested in purchasing one. Thank you.
georgetwo9223

Re: Bally e-1000 problem

Postby RameGoom » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:50 pm

The E1000's are notorious for problems with the RAM board, which is suspended off of the CPU. Bad solder joints, and failed chips are pretty normal.

You might want to replace the chips and re-solder the header pins on either side.

Here's a copy of the manual that will be useful.

http://www.ramegoom.com/john/E2000/Ball ... %20fay.pdf
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby georgetwo9223 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:22 am

Thanks for the response. I resoldered the pins and so far have replaced the two 5101 ram sockets. I see no battery corrosion, the boards look amazingly good and clean. I guess I will try replacing the rest of the chips on the small board. Thanks for the manual, however, I do already have that one. Right now I have the board out and hooked to a power supply on my bench, and the digit display reads a number 5 in the fifth slot. Nothing else in any other segments. I checked continuithy on the ribbon cable and it is good also. I will continue checking. Thank you for your help on this.
georgetwo9223

Postby georgetwo9223 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:26 am

I would be interested in purchasing a working mpu board for this E-1000 if anyone has one to sell. Thanks.
georgetwo9223

Return to Slots