Mills Cherry 5 CENT Machine

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Mills Cherry 5 CENT Machine

Postby Vorgitch » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Good evening and thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide. First off I am really new to working on these things, like so new I've never done it. My father recently passed away and I inherited a Mills Cherry 5 cent slot machine. I remember playing it at a kid and it worked just fine. My father never restored it and judging from the amount of nickels in it and their dates, he really never opened it. The problem is, the wheels don't spin very well. Sometimes they spin great, other times the barely move. There is no rhyme nor reason as to a good spin versus a bad one. It can spin great three or four times in a row and the terrible for a while. I do have a Mills Black Beauty of what I would call the same era, and it works great. It dose seem as thought he Cherry is greasy on the inside. I have attached a still of the rear workings.

Any help would really be appreciated!

John

P.S. I am on the Los Angeles area if this seems to be a major issue are there reputable places to repair these things?
IMG_2054.jpg
Vorgitch

Re: Mills Cherry 5 CENT Machine

Postby mazzeosa17 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:59 pm

It sounds like you need to get the machine mechanism, especially the reel bundle and shaft, cleaned. It's probably gummed up from years of use, and dried-up grease/oil/dirt. I'm in Ohio, so can't help you out, but there should be some repair personnel in your California area that can assist with that cleaning.
mazzeosa17

Postby CoinOpNut » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Hi-
My name is John and I'm a collector/restorer - we live in Monrovia (91016 - next to Pasadena).

Happy to help you get the machine going. You can ring me on mobile: 626.840.4241.
Email is coinopgeek@gmail.com
CoinOpNut

Postby Vorgitch » Mon May 04, 2020 10:57 am

John, thank you very much. It turns out the machine needed a little cleaning, lubrication, a spring changed and few minor adjustments. It works perfectly now, in fact better than I remember it as a kid.

Great job John and thanks again!

John
Vorgitch

Return to Slots