Denomination of machines

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Denomination of machines

Postby bobayers » Fri May 08, 2020 1:11 am

Does anyone have any information that records what denomination each model of a slot was produced in.

For example, what denominations (1c, 5c, 10c, 50c, $1.00) was the Watling Rol-A-Top produced in/
bobayers

Re: Denomination of machines

Postby quadibloc » Sat May 09, 2020 9:25 pm

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a place where this information is collected, although it might be possible to get it from the slot machine serial number database.

In the specific case of the Watling Rol-a-Top, I looked through some Billboard ads; in the June 28, 1947 issue, there is an ad mentioning four denominations being available, 5, 10, 25, and 50 cents.

Go back a few years, to the December 12, 1936 issue of Billboard, and another ad for the Watling Rol-a-Top says it's built for 1, 5, 10, and 25 cent play.

I've found some additional information that may help you. Old issues of Cash Box are available on the Internet Archive. The "C.M.I. Blue Book" listed current prices for used coin-operated machines, and so in 1946, it had information on the existing denominations of a considerable number of slot machines.
quadibloc

Return to Slots