DO I HAVE A RARE MILLS 25-CENT WAR EAGLE?

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Re: DO I HAVE A RARE MILLS 25-CENT WAR EAGLE?

Postby Dave » Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 pm

Dave wrote:
rtmccurdy wrote:Here is the initial promotional advertising for the new Mills Silent Jackpot Bell (January, 1931 Automatic Age Magazine (c) International Arcade Museum) and it is clearly your War Eagle. Details on the new offering are on either side. So, your War Eagle would be considered "rare" or "scarce" compared to the 1000's of original War Eagles that have survived. How much that would impact pricing is purely speculative since pricing is regional and based on demand.

Your photo is not high enough resolution to show the payout. Is it a 2/4? That is what I would expect. The machine being talked about in this thread is a 2/3 which I have never seen before.

Never mind, I went and found the page online and the award card in the magazine is in fact a typical 2/4 payout.

So, the machine does not match the ad and that reinforces my belief the machine is not right and was created from parts and probably did not start out as a a $.25 machine. As many folks know many restorers convert a nickel machine to a quarter because quarter machines are higher in demand.

I never agreed with this practice, but then again, those folks never asked me :D

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Marcellous » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:39 am

If this machine started out as a nickel machine, why no 5 cent button shown? The same not shown for a 25 cent button. My understanding is that the real early first War Eagles did NOT have a button shown for denomination as this machine shows. This machines has already posted a very early serial number. Questions, questions!
Marcellous

Postby Marcellous » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:50 pm

Dave, I would think it near impossible to change a nickel machine into a quarter. It would require a complete new front of the coin entry because the nickel is smaller than the quarter. Don't see how it could be done. The inside could likely be changed but still the quarter going into a nickel opening...?
Marcellous

Previous

Return to Slots