Mills Bursting Cherry/Brown Front w/ 1 cherry pay

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Mills Bursting Cherry/Brown Front w/ 1 cherry pay

Postby atac » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm

mills brown front.jpeg
I was offered this machine today (by photograph only). To me it's not an obvious repro. It does have a repro card. It does have an older steel handle. I don't have a pic of the mech. What stands out is that it pays on 1 cherry. I googled Mills Bursting Cherry and Mills Brown Front and Repro Mills Bursting Cherry. There are a number of 1 cherry pay that pop up and that don't scream repro (like this one). So my question is not whether this is a repro (I posted on FB Slot site and so far all I get it is "show me a pic of the mech and I'll tell ya if it's a repro"). That's not my question. I'm pretty sure I can tell if I saw it in person. My question is whether Mills made a 1 cherry pay bursting cherry/brown front or did revampers like Baker or Buckley take some of the 2 cherry models and make them 1 cherry pay models. Does anybody know for sure?
atac

Re: Mills Bursting Cherry/Brown Front w/ 1 cherry pay

Postby madmelons » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:05 am

What's important to your question is what does the mechanism pay out on one cherry
Are you saying it pays on 1 cherry, as award card says,Or do you know the mech does
madmelons

Re: Mills Bursting Cherry/Brown Front w/ 1 cherry pay

Postby atac » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:13 am

I'm assuming the mech pays out on 1 cherry. I'm not seeking help to determine whether it's a repro. Someone easily could have put a legit 1940's mech in it sometime over the last 80 years. The Bursting Cherry and Brown Front were originally 2 cherry pay machines. I'm pretty sure all repros are 1 cherry pay. I tried to find stock images of a repro and found many 1 cherry pay machines and many of those did not look like repros from the pics. So that lead me to ask--does anybody know if Mills made 1 cherry pay Bursting Cherry or Brown Front machines? It was a pretty monumental change at the time because 2 cherry pay had been around since around 1910. And whichever maker lead the charge, all the rest followed. All the Mills and Jennings machines introduced in the 1940's were 1 cherry pay and eventually Watling's were too. (I'm not too familiar with Pace, but assume all their 1940's machine were 1 cherry pay as well). Just curious. Seems like an important change and I know there's tons of knowledgeable folks that read this site.
atac

Return to Slots