PTFE for slides?

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

PTFE for slides?

Postby mbarthelow » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 am

I know you are not supposed to use conventional lubricants on payout slides, but I wonder if anyone uses teflon spray: seems like it would make things slick and slidey and not attract dust. Also for some of the escalator parts that slide back and forth?
mbarthelow

Re: PTFE for slides?

Postby mazzeosa17 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:27 am

No, I would not use any lubricants of any type on the slides if you want them to work properly.
mazzeosa17

Postby jmisatu » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:14 am

I read in some literature a while back that powdered graphite, although a little messy will allow for good lubrication on the slides without any consequences of gumming up coin movement for payouts. I have used it with excellent results in those areas. I wipe it into the surfaces instead of just letting it adhere randomly.
jmisatu

Postby collector1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:21 am

I DEFINITELY AGREE AS A SMOOTH SLIDE AND INTERIOR OF SLOT CAVITY ON THE MECHANISM IS A HAPPY SLIDE ASSEMBLY. USE A DE-GREASER TO GET RID OF ANY OIL ETC. DAWN WORKS GREAT. INSIDE THE SLIDE AREA AS WELL AS THE SLIDES THEMSELVES.
PUT IN A SOLUTION OF DAWN AND WATER IN A BOWL TO LET ALL THE GREASE RELEASE AND CLEAN THE SLIDES AND THEIR SPRINGS THOROUGHLY AND THE INTERIOR OF THE SLOT MECHANISM.
IF YOU STILL HAVE GREASE ON THEM THE PAYOUT WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY SOMETIMES (VAPOR LOCK OCCURS WHEN A SLIDE WON'T MOVE SMOOTHLY). I HOPE I STATED IT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU TO DUPLICATE.
collector1

Postby collector1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:28 am

YOU WOULD NOT WANT ANYTHING ON THE SLIDES THAT MAY BE ABLE TO ATTRACT ANY DIRT TO ADHERE TO ANYTHING YOU THINK WILL HELP THE SLIDES MOVE. WHEN THE SLOT MACHINES WERE MADE NONE OF THEM HAD ANY TYPE OF LUBRICANT. IF IT AIN'T BROKEN PLEASE DON'T FIX IT. :argue:
collector1

Postby watlingboy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 am

Every manufacturer that printed instructions stated to put nothing on the slides. Once they are clean, you can fine wire brush or 0000 steel wool them to put a slight polish if wanted. Spraying Teflon puts a wet film between slides which can cause a suction. Graphite was available then but I've never seen it recommended. Cleaned, slightly polished slides work perfect. If you have pay issues after cleaning and polishing, then the problem is elsewhere.

George
watlingboy

Postby nhsodaman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:06 pm

For cleaning parts mineral spirits takes all oil and grease off and you just need to soak parts and its gone You can buy it at Ace Hardware
nhsodaman

Postby collector1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:46 pm

Obviously as I read this post there are more than one way to clean the slides and I can only appreciate the different methods that can be used to return the slides to factory specs. So whatever works well and you feel comfortable with the outcome do it either way and just enjoy that the people on this forum care and want to lead the newcomers in the right direction. :smt102
collector1

Return to Slots