Can someone ID model and year of this Jennings

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Re: Can someone ID model and year of this Jennings

Postby mechanic » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:11 pm

nvmos2 wrote:The machine starting this thread resembles a Roberts Novelty revamp, but it probably is not. Roberts was one of the largest producers of JP fronts 1928-1931; they had their own original design and put their name along the front bottom, at least on their later models. Other smaller companies copied their fronts with some variations, but in some cases just dropping the Roberts name.

Mechanic is one of the most knowledgeable members here, so it may very well be a Service Sales revamp. The ribbon design in the lower part of the JP front is probably distinctive to one company, but Slot Dynasty (RIP) wasn’t able to identify it in another thread, so I’m not competent to venture a guess. The ribbon was often a double, one on each side of JP, as shown in 3rd photo above.

Service Sales of Toledo, Ohio stamped their name into the back of at least some of their JP fronts. Below is a photo (courtesy altort) of one of their stamped JP fronts.

Nepacoinop: request you examine the machine more closely for stickers on cabinet inside and out and see if there is anything stamped into back of JP front to indicate who made it.

33C009BD-05DC-4DBF-AA58-211016B104AB.jpeg

THANKS FOR THE KUDOS . AFTER 45+ YEARS I CAN HONESTLY SAY, I'M STILL LEARNING. THIS IS ONE AMAZING HOBBY TO BE IN. WE ALL SEEM TO HELP EACH OTHER AND LEARN FROM ONE ANOTHER. BEST PART IS THAT NO ONE EVER GETS TO THE POINT OF BELITTLING ANOTHER MEMBER. I LOVE THE CHALLENGE OF RESEARCHING NEW UNDOCUMENTED FINDS. SO AT THIS POINT I STICK TO MY EARLIER POST THAT IT IS A SERVICE SALES MACHINE WHICH IDK, CA OR OH? I THINK I WILL DO MORE RESEARCH. I KNOW I HAVE A PIC OR TWO SOMEWHERE?????????? LOL FINDING THEM IS ANOTHER ADVENTURE !!!!!!!! LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING OF ANY AND ALL UPDATES TO THIS STRING.
mechanic

Postby collector1 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:12 am

A MEMBER WITH A VERY KEEN EYE NOTICED THAT ON THE RIGHT SIDE SOMETHING WAS REMOVED EXPOSING THE RIBBON . WELL IF THE ORIGINAL MEMBER THAT MADE THE POST LOOKS BEHIND THE AWARD CARD ON THE LOWER LEFT SIDE THIS WOULD HELP CONFIRM THE TRUE MAKER OF THIS CASTING. SO PLEASE LET THE FORUM KNOW.
collector1

Postby mechanic » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:18 pm

collector1 wrote:A MEMBER WITH A VERY KEEN EYE NOTICED THAT ON THE RIGHT SIDE SOMETHING WAS REMOVED EXPOSING THE RIBBON . WELL IF THE ORIGINAL MEMBER THAT MADE THE POST LOOKS BEHIND THE AWARD CARD ON THE LOWER LEFT SIDE THIS WOULD HELP CONFIRM THE TRUE MAKER OF THIS CASTING. SO PLEASE LET THE FORUM KNOW.

I HEARD YOU WERE USING ALL CAPS LIKE ME, THANKS I CAN READ YOURS !!!! LATER JIM
mechanic

Postby nvmos2 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:35 pm

Unfortunately, removing the award card will not help to identify the maker of this JP front.
It will only confirm what I suspect; there is a second ribbon design in the casting under the award card.
Every other one of these that I've seen have 2 ribbons; one on each side of the JP.
Here's what probably happened; some operator back in the day wanted an award card on the machine so he covered the ribbons by adding an award card and frame over each ribbon design.
The right half of the award card is missing, but the 2 holes where the frame was attached remain.

The best confirmation of the maker will be if something is stamped into the casting on the back side.
You should also be able to tell if there is a ribbon under the award card from the back of the casting.
Alternatively, maybe someone can come up with an ad that shows this JP front in an old trade publication.
Since it is probably a knock off of the Roberts design, the maker may not have stamped it or advertised it.

If mechanic believes it's from Service Sales, that settles it for me until someone proves otherwise.
nvmos2

Postby collector1 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:47 pm

GREAT TOPIC, I LEARNED MORE THAN I EXPECTED AND THANK YOU ALL. HAPPY HOLIDAY AND LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.
SOUNDED APPROPRIATE FOR THIS TOPIC. =D>
collector1

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 am

NEPACOINOP; do us the courtesy of confirming that you removed the mechanism and whether or not there are any markings on the back side of the JP casting to indicate the maker.
nvmos2

Postby collector1 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm

I just wanted to show another picture of an example of another ROBERTS NOVELTY CO. UTICA, NY conversion.
This picture is a Mills Poinsettia style conversion with a similar twist as a Rockola . It may not be a Jennings but from previous pictures ROBERTS DID CONVERSIONS FOR BOTH COMPANY'S. They identify their makers mark on the bottom front of at least this casting. Well is there any distinct similarities? I did mention Roberts earlier in this topic. i will reach out to MIKE and ask him to take a hard look. I left a message.
Please enlarge the picture and look in the lower green area.
I HAVEN'T READ EVERY THREAD BUT HE TOLD ME THAT UNDER THE SCREWED ON AWARD CARD THERE IS A RIBBON.
Well I hope something I wrote helps over all. Well it is now time to look and comment. well well well???
Attachments
ROBERTS NOVELTY CO. UTICA, NY.png
collector1

Postby Nepacoinop » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:16 pm

I’ve had the mech out and front casting off, there’s not evidence of anything other than Jennings in there... no stamps or casting marks on the front casting on the backside and nothing to take note of on the mech that I’ve seen
Nepacoinop

Previous

Return to Slots