mills diamond front slot mechanism serial # newbie

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

mills diamond front slot mechanism serial # newbie

Postby doubledeuce » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:29 pm

hello to all. have a Mills diamond front that has a brown gold krinkle coat paint with a touch of glitter in it and oxblood diamonds .25.serial # on wood and tag inside on the left side is 474285.Mechanism is # 489431by the tag on it. I think the machine is from the early 40's and am wondering about what year the mechanism is.I figure at one point in time someone swapped out mechanism with another machine as I would expect the serial #'s to all match from the factory, lmk if this is correct thinking .It is made from cast iron.Plays and pays great.I like the krinkle paint and the dagger and sheath type handle that match.When I figure out how to post a pic I will do so....I have to ask my daughter as i am not too tech saavy.
doubledeuce

Re: mills diamond front slot mechanism serial # newbie

Postby mechanic » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:35 pm

YOUR DIAMOND FRONT IS A MILLS / BAKER MADE DURING 1943 - 1945. THE GLITTER AND CAST IRON CASTINGS ARE WHAT YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR. MILLS WAS OUT OF SLOT PRODUCTION DURING THIS TIME MAKING THINGS FOR THE WAR EFFORT. SOME EARLY MILLS / BAKER MACHINES WERE MADE USING LEFT OVER ALUMINUM CASTINGS AND CAST IRON COMINATIONS. THESE MACHINES ARE REGULARLY MIS IDENTIFIED AS PURE MILLS WHICH THEY ARE NOT. SOME LATER 1945-46 MACHINES HAD THE BAKER LOGO ON THE WOOD SIDE AND NOT THE RED SEAL WITH THE OWL. I HAVE ONLY SEEN A HAND FULL OF THE BAKER DECALS.
mechanic

Re: mills diamond front slot mechanism serial # newbie

Postby doubledeuce » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:14 pm

thank you very much for the info.I was still wondering if the mechanism could be original even though the serial #'s are that far off. The gentleman I got it from said it was a Mills from 41 or 42. You explanation makes sense as Mills would still need cast iron for the war effort as they were a contractor. I have a 68 Impala ss427 that has the engine cast date in Jan.1968 from Tonawanda NY but the car was assembled in june of 68 in LA CA and it's all original.I've been told by several experts that this is what Chevrolet did sometimes.I wonder if Mills or Baker did the same thing. Just using the car as a possibility comparison. Who was or is the Baker co.? Very interesting.
doubledeuce

Return to Slots