Mills Castle Mystery Production Years

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Mills Castle Mystery Production Years

Postby Bally Bill » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:42 am

Hello and Merry Christmas to All! When friends come over to play my slots for some reason they gravitate towards the 10 cent Mills Castle and ask about its age and why the payouts are different from the 5 cent Castle front? I tell them that the machine was produced around 1935 to 1940 but really not sure if that is the correct information. Any insight into this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and stay safe and WARM! Bill
Attachments
Mills Castle 10 cent mystery payout.jpg
Bally Bill

Re: Mills Castle Mystery Production Years

Postby watlingboy » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:58 pm

The variable award card is unusual for Mills, Watling used that variable card for almost all their machines. The answer is, if the machine is played with all brand new coins, it may pay short, if played with very worn coins, you may get an extra coin. The machine usually payed in the center. Where it says 7 to 9, it will pay 8. 17 to 19, it will pay 18. Main purpose was so the customer couldn’t say, “It cheated me.”
George
watlingboy

Postby Bally Bill » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:00 pm

Hi George, Most of the time all the payouts are right in the middle like you stated but some of the time it will pay the minimum 9 out of 11 and sometimes the max of 11 etc but maybe that's because the machine is using mercury dimes as opposed to the Roosevelts, I thought maybe it was based on spring tension or a unique payout slide that might affect payout amounts. The reel mechanism has the mills stamp numbers but maybe that was faked during its slot life cycle. I still like this turd colored 10 cent machine and have no plans of selling knowing it might be a Mills Frankenstein. Thank you for the insight and reply!! Best Regards Bill
Bally Bill

Postby watlingboy » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:15 am

It’s working exactly as it should based on the mercury dimes. They wear and the tolerances are more critical than on a nickel or quarter machine so it depends a lot on how the slide stack cuts when a pay is hit. It would be more consistent if you played with new copper clad dimes as they don’t wear. Good for you for using the mercury dimes. Enjoy your machine.
George
watlingboy

Postby Bally Bill » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:23 am

Hi Geroge, That makes a lot of sense about the mercury's dime payout versus the copper filled version, friends didn't even know what a mercury dime looked like before they played that machine! Thank you and Happy New Year!
Bally Bill

Return to Slots