Help identifying a "Scope / Photoviewer" -type machine

This area of the forum is for arcade style machines.

This is a new area and was created on 2/7/207.

Help identifying a "Scope / Photoviewer" -type machine

Postby TFA » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:28 pm

I am looking for any info regarding this machine. I suspect that it could be American in origin. Possible 40s/50s. Obviously modified graphics, if that's the case. I've thrawled through the usual sources, but nothing has turned up.
ImageImage

Anyone recognize it? Name? Maker? Year?
TFA

Re: Help identifying a "Scope / Photoviewer" -type machine

Postby collector1 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:39 pm

Hi,
THIS IS THE INFORMATION AND PICTURES THAT I FOUND SO FAR. I feel that you are correct. the original FOTOSKOPE or in the U.S. known as the MutoScope (VIEWER by Mike Munves 195?).
A MOVIE VIEWER.
Known as a DELUXE CONSOLE LIGHT UP. (PLEASE LOOK AT THE 1ST AND 2ND PICTURE)
YOUR MODEL SEEMS 1-3 YEARS NEWER BUT THAT IS ONLY MY GUESS.

I HOPE THE INFORMATION THAT I FOUND MAY HELP YOU. YOU ARE CORRECT , THE INFORMATION IS VERY SKETCHY. AS THEY CAN'T EVEN PINPOINT THE YEAR.

Here's the inside of the 1950 mutoscope (reel removed). Note the guts are similar, but not the same as the pre-WW2 models. This is a much more reliable mechanism, as it has a better coin acceptor, and no longer uses the high-wear right angle gears on the turning handle shaft. Note the brass turn switch by the light bulb. As the reel is turned, the flip pictures force the brass lever up, turning on the light bulb. (PLEASE LOOK AT THE 3RD PICTURE)

This picture is From a 1956 Munves catalog showing the new "deluxe console light up" model(center) as the most expensive Mutoscope available. On the left is the 1926 to 1949 is the Rapkins era Mutoscope, and on the right is the original late 1890's to 1909 Clamshell type Mutoscope. Not shown is the original 1895 style wood case Mutoscope. (PLEASE LOOK AT THE 4TH PICTURE)
Attachments
14305.jpg
14305.jpg (10.86 KiB) Viewed 11429 times
mutosc9-1.jpg
mutosc10.jpg
mutosca.jpg
collector1

Postby collector1 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:05 pm

Here is a group of them in an arcade. They look nice , too bad I can't go back in time just for a moment.
Attachments
a-display-of-working-vintage-penny-arcade-peep-show-game-machines-H6FRBX.jpg
collector1

Postby collector1 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:28 pm

Question , Did this answer your questions about the Scope / Photoviewer ?????
collector1

Return to Arcade