Mid-70s Cavalier Coke machine coin acceptor not working

This area of the forum for vending style machines.

This area created on 2/7/17

Mid-70s Cavalier Coke machine coin acceptor not working

Postby Shane » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:21 pm

I have a mid-70s Cavalier Coke machine with a National Rejector coin acceptor (see pic).

All coins (nickel, dime, quarter) are going straight to the coin return. I have had the machine for years and the coin mech used to work fine but slowly has slipped to its current state.

If I take the mech out and tilt it back the coins tend to fall in the correct area. When it stands straight up they go to coin reject.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane
Attachments
IMG_3082.jpg
Shane

Re: Mid-70s Cavalier Coke machine coin acceptor not working

Postby MONTI » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:20 am

Well while my forte is primarily vintage mechanical and early Electro Mechanical slot machines it looks like what you have there is somewhat, and I repeat somewhat, similar to the coin acceptor used by Bally in the E/M slots and slightly later in early Sircoma and then becoming IGT slots!
This may be redundant as you may have already done this but swinging the acceptor gate open and THOROUGHLY cleaning all the points of contact and interaction with the coin and also cleaning and lightly lubricating all the pivot points in the coin size detection locations as well as the square components which, if like the Bally type coin acceptors are magnetic to catch slugs, Etc. that sometimes pick up residue with heavy use and age that may help as this would also effect the coin thickness testing!
Again, if this is redundant and you have already done this forgive my mentioning it!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

NRI Coin Acceptor.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Shane » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:36 pm

Thanks, Monti.

There was a loose screw that, once tightened, fixed most of the problem. Nickels and dimes work now and quarters are a bit fussy but sometimes work. Maybe a good cleaning will help.

Shane
Shane

Postby Shane » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:40 pm

Monti -

Speaking of E/M slots. do you experience with Bally Series E?

My neighbor just game me one (label says E-2122). The lights come on but machine does not function. I have no experience with E/M's but noticed two fuses are missing the round black caps. Do you know where I can find some of these?

Shane
Shane

Postby MONTI » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:45 am

Not sure about the NRI coin acceptors/rejectors but the CM coin acceptors used by Bally E/M's are adjustable for coin thickness with an adjustable screw but being a multiple coin unit that you have this may not be the case for yours!
The newer coins being "sandwich" coins and not silver they are a little thicker as shown below which in older mechanical slot machines cause issues with payouts due to the payout slides being made for silver content coins!
As for the E/M Bally questions, yes I work on and have many Bally E/M parts from recent purchases of old route operator warehouses in the Reno/Sparks area!
The fuse holders are available as NEW stock and used caps are also from pulled down assemblies from the "Bone Yard"! LOL
Replacing the entire fuse holder is rather simple with just a little solder work!
PM me if you wish to discuss this further!
MONTI

QUARTER stack comparison1.JPG
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Return to Vending