Freight Companies

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Freight Companies

Postby jcrowley » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:10 pm

Are there any general recommendations about which freight companies are the best to use? I've bought things in the past where the shipper has used UPS, with disasterous results, and have also received items via DHL and even the US post office, (shipments from both of these carriers have arrived intact). Recently, I purchased two items at the VCA Auction in Las Vegas that were sent to the local Craters and Freighters for a shipping quote. My general impression is that they have a good reputation, but I've been calling them daily since last Thursday, and although I've been promised each day that someone will call me back, I've yet to hear anything from them. I'm not certain whether this is to be expected, or whether I should consider it cause for alarm.
jcrowley

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:04 pm

I have shipped machines via Fed Ex ground with good results.

I would NEVER use UPS. Just about everyone I have ever talked to who has used UPS to ship machines has had it arrive in pieces. Good luck on filing a claim.

I have also used a private shipper by the name of Sanburg with good results. The only problem is being on his route. I don't have his number but I know other people use him and hopefully they will post it. I also think he has a web page.

I have also had high end pieces shipped via North American Van Lines with good results.

Whenever I need to ship a machine I always try to find a way to have someone hand deliver it. That is, find a private party travelling near where the machine is and pick it up and get it to me. If you ask around, you might be surprised on how easy this is. Most people are happy to do it, especially if you throw them $50 or $100.

Perhaps we should start an area in this forum where people can post if they have a machine in location X and need to get it to location Y.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Shipping

Postby Marc Hess » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:50 pm

I will second the thumbs up for North American Van Lines. I have used them twice, once for my mint Gottlieb Cowpoke pinball machine and once for my Ten Strike Manequin Bowler. Each item arrived promply as scheduled and without a scratch. They do not box or crate, but blanket wrap carefully . They delived each machine inside my house and were just great to communicate with while the items were in transit. I also shipped a wood rail pinball to a buyer with Eric's Shipping Service and the buyer was quite happy. Eric specializes in coin op and arcade machines.
Marc Hess

Postby kmorris8 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:57 am

Here's my experience with shippers (from worst to best):

UPS -- convenient but the worst as far as handling.

FedEx (ground or air) -- a bit more gentle than UPS.

USPS -- never any problems but only for small, well-packed itmes.

Eric's Shipping (pins) -- good but takes a long time and doesn't normally come where I live.

North American (big, heany items, not crated or packaged)-- convenient, cost-effective and generally safe. But I did have once case where they trashed a pin. It was not broken down for shipping and I think it fell over on the truck -- cracked the head in several places. I believe this was the fault of the local pick-up agent (you are at the mercy of whatever agent they happen to use). But they did not quibble about insurance and settled quickly. I still use them.

Hand Delivery -- the best option.

Keith
kmorris8

Postby tradestimulators » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:56 pm

I have used yellow freight sucessfully but it best if you have a local terminal.

I would strongly suggest that you NEVER use FED-EX, if you are shipping any type of collectible they wil not pay you more then $100 for insurance claims. It states this in the fine print. If you can live with the risk FEDEX ground is the cheapest.

Unlike others, I have had luck with UPS when THEY do the packing. They do a very good job, inexpensive, and if it breaks you can blame them.
tradestimulators

Postby tradestimulators » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:00 pm

I have used yellow freight sucessfully but it best if you have a local terminal.

I would strongly suggest that you NEVER use FED-EX, if you are shipping any type of collectible they wil not pay you more then $100 for insurance claims. It states this in the fine print. If you can live with the risk FEDEX ground is the cheapest.

Unlike others, I have had luck with UPS when THEY do the packing. They do a very good job, inexpensive, and if it breaks you can blame them.
tradestimulators

Return to Just Chatting