Mills "wiggle cut" Lock Picked, Key needed

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Mills "wiggle cut" Lock Picked, Key needed

Postby brazoot » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Hello, Does anyone know if someone is capable of cutting a Mills key to a number found on the lock itself ? My lock number is M7614 , this number was found inside of the machine stamped onto the rear of the lock... I was able to "Pick" this lock open after many years of owning this particular machine (Mills Vest Pocket). I never had a key for it. Thanks...Tom BTW, Mills Wiggle Cut locks are very difficult to "pick"..... at least for me
brazoot

Re: Mills "wiggle cut" Lock Picked, Key needed

Postby altort » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Dave Berten can cut those keys as I am sure a competent lock smith should be able to as well
you can contact Dave at http://www.mrslot1.com/
altort

Postby TheFatman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:16 pm

@Brazoot ... This is wild ... I watch this site every day and today I just picked up a vest pocket machine and it has no key. I dont want to drill it out, but dont have a clue on how to even start to pick the lock. Any helpfull ideas?
Dont want to take it to a locksmith but will if I have to I will.
Dave
TheFatman

Postby brazoot » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes, it's true, Dave Berten ( who is an awesome person) can duplicate a Mills or Bellock key. Dave cannot use the Mills CODE to "make" a key. He is able to rekey your lock to a key that he would supply.

Fatman, it ain't easy picking a Mills lock. They are pretty high security for being from back in the old days. It took me about an hour and a half. You have to be gentle and "feel" the pins. You need to move the TOP pins DOWN from the very top of the keyway and the BOTTOM pins UP from the very BOTTOM of the keyway. Look at a Mills key to get a feel for it. There are eight pins you have to compromise at the same time. Two to the upper right, two to the upper left, two to the lower right and two to the lower left. It is still a difficult task for the average person. I got lucky. Shouldn't have to force it.

You need to apply the proper pressure to the torque handle to rotate the cylinder at the same time you are picking at the pins.

Try to find a website called "Lock picking 101" and read some of their advice. OR see if a locksmith will do it for $15.00 to $25.00. Some of those guys enjoy the challenge. Once it's opened , Dave Berten can Rekey to one of his keys and send you back your lock with a key. ... Regards... Tom
brazoot

Postby TheFatman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Well ... I had a friend ( who is extremely educated in slots) that with a vest pocket slot, if there is a little space to get a small screw driver in between the body and the door above the lock, you can pop it by bending the cam ever so gently and slowly by levering the screwdriver gently. I felt that I would at least take a look and possibly try it. With a strong small flat blade I got it just barely in between the body and door. Within 2 minutes. I had gained a little more wiggle room and in the next 30 seconds, it opened. It hardly bent the cam and did no damage what so ever to the door, lock or body of the machine. Yes, I am or was lucky. But I didnt want to drill it out, or send it off, but mostly the local locksmith said I could leave it and he charges 125$ an hour. So at that point, I knew how much he was going to charge. Dont know if I would try that way again but I guess I would definitely take a good look at it first.
Thanks for the info
Dave
TheFatman

Return to Just Chatting