Mills slot machine hi top,

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Mills slot machine hi top,

Postby berardini21 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:55 am

I have what I believe to be a mills hitop, I have gone through the machine with the help of Dave and others and for the most part have it functioning properly aside from one thing. Paying out on jackpots and big payouts, the only finger that seems to be paying is the cherries and thats if I double spring it. So whats happening is the fingers are not having enough pressure to push the horizontal fingers to release the payout slides. I can manually do a payout by just pushing the fingers in but thats no fun. I ordered new springs from mrslot1, for the payout slides and vertical fingers. I believe some of the payout slides springs have been shortened because they feel extremely tight so I stretched them and still no avail. So my question is when I put new vertical finger springs and slide springs on if it still will not payout on larger payouts what would/should I do next. I thought I got a good deal for $500 on this machine now I think I may have a headache coming
Attachments
20160315_205908.jpg
berardini21

Re: Mills slot machine hi top,

Postby MONTI » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:20 am

Howdy berardini21!
You may have an issue with the payout slides themselves as I have seen many slot machines come into my shop that either from the machine sitting for a long period or improper lubricant being used caused the payout slides to drag!
What this would require, if this is the problem, would be a complete breakdown of the slide assembly and cleaning of each individual slide for proper smooth action between the slides!
The springs if elongated need replacing so the spring set you purchase from Dave will help but if the slides are dragging it could get more involved but the price you paid is not bad if the slot machine is complete in other ways!
Bona Fortuna!
Monti
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby berardini21 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:36 am

I removed all the slides and cleaned them, they had oil on them and I was told you never oil the slides. So I removed cleaned dried and made sure there was no nicks or gauges causing them not to slide correctly. The machine is complete minus original award badge and $5 guaranteed card which I ordered from Dave. I'm hoping that the spring set fixes everything. So no matter what I should be able to get this thing moving right for less than another $50? Appreciate your help
berardini21

Postby mechanic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Sounds like a reset problem ! First is the lift lever cocking the machine properly ? Is the slide reset push bar pushing the slides forward enough for the 5th click to engage? The spring tension on the slides should be a minimal issue, as long as the reset push bar pushes the slides forward enough for the 5th click to engage. The spring tension will make the slide go back hard and make a loud noise when they do. The 5th click sets right behind the master slide at the bottom, you would have seen it when you took the slides out for cleaning. Play the mech outside the cabinet and watch to see if the 5th click engages and the horiz. fingers go behind the slides, use a flash light to get a good view. If it does not engage then check to see if the lift pin needs to be adjusted or the slide rest bar is worn down. Lift pin is on the main bar that goes across the back, it has a square head screw with a nut below the head. Loosen the nut first then the screw and move the lift pin just a hair 1/64 or less. Also check the end of the lift pin as it may be worn, this happens occasionally. Retighten the screw and test the mech, if it continues to have issues after the second try then the problem may be the reset bar being worn which is more difficult as it will need to be removed and built up with some welding and reground to prevent other problems.
mechanic

Postby berardini21 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:22 am

Havent had much time to look into it. I will say that all the slides including the main slide are resetting properly as I said if I slightly nudge to payout finger through the holes on the discs I get the proper payout. The Finger rest has no grooves of any sort and shows little wear. The vertical fingers are just not throwing enough pressure at the horrizontal fingers to get them to release from the payout slides. If I can post a video on here I will and maybe you can see something from the video that I cant. I appreciate all of the help and will look into other things as well. Cheers
berardini21

Postby ThirdGenAmusement » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:19 am

Hello,

I'm curious if this issue of the vertical finger not having enough pressure to trigger the horizontal finger? I've got a similar situation on a Sega dime slot. The vertical finger trips the single cherry 2 pay but doesn't have enough to trigger the 5 payout when two cherries are hit. It will still fire the 2 payout however. With some assistance the 3pay slide will fire.

I've replaced all associated springs, taken all sides out, cleaned and checked for damage/burrs etc, and have also checked the area of the slide the horizontal finger makes contact with the back of the slide. I did use some 600 grit sandpaper paper to smooth out the rough ends from when the finger was stamped. The horizontal finger moves freely when not engaged in the slide and the vertical finger isn't restricted when going into the payout slots in the reel. I'd considered shortening the horizontal finger slightly but want to use this as a last resort.
ThirdGenAmusement

Postby MONTI » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:17 am

Well personally I wouldn't shorten the horizontal slide release levers and would only clean them to make sure there is no lack of movement!
I believe the problem is the vertical pay finger!
If the single cherry pay is correct and your problem occurs with the two cherry payout and when the vertical pay finger is pushed on by hand the payout occurs then you could have a bent vertical pay finger as the adjustment on that particular vertical pay finger should be such that its movement will on a two cherry pay cause the release of the two cherry payout slide by going further to release the second from bottom horizontal payout slide release lever!
Depending on which cherry payout you have single or double that same vertical pay finger applies pressure to either the bottom horizontal release lever or both the bottom horizontal release lever and the one above it!
Hope this helps!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby atac » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:53 pm

It could also be a timing problem where the 4th/5th click happen too close, where the slides get released before the vertical fingers set for payouts.
atac

Postby mazzeosa17 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Besides the good advice given by others, you may just have to take a loop or two off of the cherry upper payout finger spring to give it more force. I had to do that on my 25 cent Hightop that I acquired recently, as it would only pay out 2 coins on 1 cherry but not 5 coins on two cherries - until I took off two spring loops for the vertical upper payout finger.
mazzeosa17

Postby atac » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:32 pm

I don't think everybody is reading this the way I read it. If I'm reading it incorrectly, I apologize. It seems the ONLY payout working is the single cherry and that's if it's "double springed". Either all the springs have an issue or I'm back to it's a timing problem.
atac

Next

Return to Just Chatting