Tool Identification

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Tool Identification

Postby 63mini » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:59 pm

Back in the late 70's and early 80's my father had a business restoring antique slot machines. When he stopped in the late 80's he kept two tool boxes of tools he used. He downsized his home recently and I found those boxes and brought them home. I can identify all but, this one item seen below. I sent him a message and asked if he knew what it was for. He didn't remember and thought it was for stamping the payout discs. I know that is not correct as there are two of the payout punch kits in the boxes and those are not the same.

There is a very slight chance it doesn't go with the rest of the tools but, I do remember seeing it on the bench with the other slot tools when I was a kid.

Let me know what you think.
Attachments
20210412_133957_resized.jpg
20210412_133951_resized.jpg
63mini

Re: Tool Identification

Postby mechanic » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:06 pm

LOOKS LIKE A HOME MADE JIG. OPERATORS AND MECHANICS MADE THEIR OWN SPECIAL TOOLS TO TAKE OUT DENTS , STRAIGHTEN PARTS AND PUNCH HOLES IN TIN. THE QUESTION IS WHAT WAS IT FOR EXACTLY? WHO KNOWS BUT NEAT TOOL !!
mechanic

Postby MONTI » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:12 am

What are the dimensions of that piece?
Distance between mounting holes, height, width, depth, Etc.
I have a Roper Whitney #16 reel disc punch and can not see how it would adapt to it!
Those reel discs take a lot of pressure to punch holes in as well, mine is manual and I believe they had hydraulic models as well in the 60's!
Interesting item!
MONTI

1 REEL DISC SLOT HOLE PUNCH.jpg

DSC09193.JPG
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby 63mini » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:46 am

Monti,

Thanks for your reply. I meant to reply sooner but, a home repair project took priority. I have attached a photo showing the dimension. However, I see I didn't add distance between the holes as you asked. Most of these holes are the same diameter. They just have different pocket depths (noted with the "D"). So, I am wondering if is was a fixture for setting rivets? I will get the other dims later.

My fathers disc punches where nothing as nice as yours. I have attached a photo. They don't look real practical to me but, I have never tried them. Basically, you set the disc and set the punch in the needed symbol location. Then, HAMMER away to make the hole....

Also, just for fun. The last photo is some of the hand tools from one of his boxes.
Attachments
Fixture.jpg
punch.jpg
Tools.jpg
63mini

Postby MONTI » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:38 am

"Hammer Away" is an understatement as even with my disc punch I have to put all my weight into punching holes or oblong slits like Jennings used sometimes into the discs!
Love the tool assortment, various handles for playing the mechs outside the cabinet, various tools for bending and aligning vertical pay fingers which is sometimes needed for accurate alignment of the vertical pay fingers with the horizontal slide release levers, Etc.
And I see he made a lot of his own tools as they were needed, same here, especially with the various mech playing handles, as Watling and Caille are definitely not like Mills, Pace and Jennings!
I had originally thought your first picture was of an adapter plate for holding and positioning the reel discs for a disc punch similar to mine but it is not!
Enjoyed the tool photos with all the personally made items!
Ciao!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Return to Just Chatting