Help w/ Jennings Standard Chief Payout Slides Removal

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Help w/ Jennings Standard Chief Payout Slides Removal

Postby dailyframe » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:24 pm

I am digging into a machine that sat and housed mice for quite a few yrs and slowly going through it and the cabinet.

It's up and running now and last item I took out was the clock - and that was not too involved. Now over to the slides.

I am following the somewhat hazy instructions provided in the online pdf manual and parts list you can find on Google, but the illustrations
in that pdf are just barely useful and I don't want to guess at it.

Does anyone have a link to a online post or video detailing step by step how to remove the payout slides specifically for this machine and get them back together properly?

My machine runs and cycles except for the payout and I am sure it is really fouled up down there.

Any help is very much appreciated. I am decent w mechanical repairs, but new to old slots. I also noted the advice to clean and not oil any of that mechanism.

Bonus: If I just want to replace all the springs in the machine, is there a place to go get those?
dailyframe

Re: Help w/ Jennings Standard Chief Payout Slides Removal

Postby capt7310 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:46 am

Go to you tube and put in slot machine repair mechanisms there are 2 or 3 good videos showing a total rebuild,but I'm show you'll get some more info back from the forum, good luck
capt7310

Postby dailyframe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:47 am

Thank you and yes I have been on youtube and watched at least 3 videos, but I must have missed the part where they covered the slide removal. The ones I watched were more on basic unjamming but did not cover removal of the slides mech. and appeared to be for other machines (but similar).

One showed the reels being removed which was cool but did not show the detail of what had to be removed in order to get *to* the reels ;0)

I will keep digging.
dailyframe

Postby MONTI » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:02 am

dailyframe,
to remove the payout slides properly for cleaning and making sure they properly slide freely on each other first remove the payout tube above the payout slide assembly!
If there are coins in the tube remove slowly and place a flat 1 inch or less putty knife at the bottom of the tube to prevent crawling around on the floor picking up coins!
Then remove the four screws that hold the the slide cover above the payout slides!
Then remove the slides and their corresponding springs one at a time laying them out in the order of removal as you will replace them in the same order but reversed as you disassembled them!
Make sure they are not binding between the posts, four posts that they slide between after they have been cleaned and on reassembly!
Personally I used four "O" steel wool for cleaning the slide top and bottom surfaces being careful not to bend or damage the coin alignment brass tabs when present as these assist in the proper separation of the coins as the slides operate!
Don't use any type of liquid between the slides however powdered graphite spray can be used and is easily found at your local hardware store in a "puff" spray bottle!
On replacing the slide housing cover the slides should be relatively snug but free moving with little or no up and down slop, if the slides and cover are original then they should be correct in this adjustment!
Dave Berten has complete spring sets for vintage slot machines as his father Bernie Berten entered in the is hobby in the 70's by making the springs for vintage slot machines and grew his business in selling parts and reel strips afterward, I personally bought many parts from Bernie in the early days and after his passing have bought from his son Dave over the years!
Dave as us older folks in the hobby being an older gentleman has a lot of balls in the air like a juggling circus clown juggling one too many balls so be patient with him as he is one of the best older contacts in this hobby!
His email is mrslot1@aol.com and he is thunderfive on Ebay!
Hope I explained this properly!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby dailyframe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:52 am

Monti - Thank you very much for the detailed step by step - that is awesome. I feel like I can tackle this now.

I assume all of that can be done around the jackpot mechanism. I would also like to pull that and be able to clean behind and in it.

Also great info on springs. I will reach out and see if I can get that going. I also need a glass piece to replace in the jackpot window but maybe
I can just have that made.
dailyframe

Postby MONTI » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:28 am

Sorry I am on my cell phone and laptop at this time due to the Dixie fire and my main office computer is packed up or I would post photos of the Jennings mech assembly but I neglected to comment on the front jackpot!
My Bad!
Depending on your particular Jennings there were slight differences in the front jackpot tripping assembly but usually most of that is attached to the slide cover with usually a spring on the trip lever attached to the front jackpot lower frame!
Actually it wouldn't be that hard to remove the front jackpot assembly and yes a glass company could cut a new glass window for you!
Enjoy your new hobby and others here are wealth of information as well!
Ciao!
MONTI

PS
Just happen to have this photo on my laptop, may be your configuration!

JENNINGS Front Jackpot right side.JPG
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby sam2002 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:14 am

Hello Monti!
Damn, you keep giving information like this you won’t have any customers! lol!
Your always fantastic detailed info is the greatest!
Good to see you here on the forum, times are quite hectic for you, and for you to take the time to post this stuff, thought you deserve much kudos!
Stay safe up there friend!
sam2002

Postby MONTI » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:36 am

sam2002 wrote:Hello Monti!
Damn, you keep giving information like this you won’t have any customers! lol!
Your always fantastic detailed info is the greatest!
Good to see you here on the forum, times are quite hectic for you, and for you to take the time to post this stuff, thought you deserve much kudos!
Stay safe up there friend!

Thanks Sam!
Bet your glad you don't live up by Lassen anymore!
Just waitin' for more Black Containment Line so I can unpack!
Too much excitement for this Old Fart! LOL
Ciao!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Return to Just Chatting