Jennings slot machine question and more

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Jennings slot machine question and more

Postby plentyofcoup » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:00 pm

Thank you for having me. I have had an interest in slot machines for many years. My first slot that I bought was thru the antique trader. It was a mint original 10 cent war eagle. Found under a bed in North Carolina. That was the good. The bad was the casting was broken in shipment. What a heart breaker so it had to be returned. The next cool machine I owned was a mill bonus horsehead. Also in mint original condition. I bought some property to build my family a home so it had to go down the road. Darn shame but so goes life sometimes. Then I purchased an outstanding 5 cent Jennings sun chief also in excellent original condition with the manual. That is what brings me here. I spin the machine every couple of weeks and my family plays it a few turns when they visit. Always has worked fine. Recently it started to act up. I noticed this question on another thread but there was no solution so I am hoping someone can help. The slot arm will swing freely after I play it a couple nickels sometimes. I move the whole machine slightly and then the arm will engage and play fine. The nickels will circulate in the escalator and the arm move freely always but it does not engage the mechanism. Nothing jammed. A slight movement to see what is going on and it works fine from there on out.

thanks you for your time.
plentyofcoup

Re: Jennings slot machine question and more

Postby MONTI » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:29 am

Howdy Plenty!
Many variables here without more information but sometimes a Jennings chain drive escalator can bind up an cause issues, not saying that this is the problem just one place to look!
Pull the mech and play outside the cabinet and watch the escalator closely during it's action!
Usually Jennings chain drive escalators are pretty consistent in operation but they can have their issues at times but not often!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby plentyofcoup » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:35 am

Monti,
Thanks for your time to reply. The coins will continue to circulate thru the escalator but there is no resistance on the arm of the machine except to circulate the coins thru the escalator. When pulling down the arm it pulls down freely without engaging the rest of the mechanism.
plentyofcoup

Postby MONTI » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:59 am

Show some hirez photos of the handle side of the mech, right side from front as this will help anyone here to possibly diagnose your issue!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby plentyofcoup » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:43 pm

Resized_20211111_131818.jpeg
Resized_20211111_131634.jpeg

here are some pictures. I do see wear on the lever gear on the right side of the mechanism. I have posted a picture of it. Not sure of part name .I do have the original manual .
Attachments
Resized_20211111_130940.jpeg
plentyofcoup

Postby MONTI » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:00 am

Well, maybe it's just my Old Eye's but from the photos you posted I don't see anything obvious sticking out!
I doubt seriously it is an inside the cabinet issue, either escalator or right side of mech, handle side, issue!
Possibly someone else here on the forum can supply some advise as sometimes without "hands on" it can be hard to solve a problem!
Busy day in the shop so I'll see later what you may post!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby plentyofcoup » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:38 am

Can you tell me the name of the part in the top photo that shows gear like teeth ? I took the mech out yesterday and cleaned these teeth. There is quit a bit of wear on one section of the teeth while another section looks like new. After cleaning the teeth I reinstalled the mech and have not had one misfire so far. Thinking maybe that the issue is worn teeth from old age and use just like mine. :)
plentyofcoup

Postby plentyofcoup » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:01 am

Have done some lubing of parts and for now the problem seems to have disappeared.
plentyofcoup

Return to Just Chatting