World's ugliest War Eagle on E-Bay

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

World's ugliest War Eagle on E-Bay

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:05 pm

If you are looking for a War Eagle and don't mind restoring it yourself you might want to check out item 6192775485 on E-Bay. The auction ends on 7/19

This has got to be one of the ugliest paint jobs on a War Eagle I have ever seen.

The mechanism looks like it is in reasonable shape though.

I am not affiliated with this machine in any way and I have no idea who the seller or current bidders are.
Dave
Site Admin

Re: World's ugliest War Eagle on E-Bay

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:28 pm

Dave wrote:If you are looking for a War Eagle and don't mind restoring it yourself you might want to check out item 6192775485 on E-Bay. The auction ends on 7/19

This has got to be one of the ugliest paint jobs on a War Eagle I have ever seen.

The mechanism looks like it is in reasonable shape though.

I am not affiliated with this machine in any way and I have no idea who the seller or current bidders are.

Hi Dave: I hate to be the barer of bad news :( , but there are more than just one "War Eagle" with this paint scheme. I had a customer from NO. Calif., that wanted me to restore, and match a paint job of one he already had in this chartreuse color. "YUK"! This was in Nov. 1984. I tried to talk him out of it, but he insisted that he wanted to have a matched set of 5c, 10c, & 25c machines. He brought the 25c with him to show me, and left the back bonnet, so I could match the color. I restored the nickel one. I didn't realize it till last night, that this is the same machine, as I pulled the photos I took, and checked the wood grain. Sure enough! :wink: I am going to write the seller, and ask for the serial number just to be sure. I guess the person that I restored this one for, never got his dime model. Apparently he had sold this machine, or moved to So. Calif.? Maybe I'll find out more soon. Cheers, Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:43 pm

WOW What a small world.

I decided to do a little research. It turns out the seller sold the quarter one on June 10th. It brought $1,875 which is pretty cheap for a quarter War Eagle (in my opinion). I'll bet it is no longer pea green.

Dave
Site Admin

Postby nick » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:18 pm

That Pea green color was nice. It is nice to see a slot with some flavor for once. Why do War Eagles seem to go up on a yearly basis. They are not super rare and look about as good as a Castle Front which are usually much lower.
nick

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:26 pm

nick wrote:That Pea green color was nice. It is nice to see a slot with some flavor for once. Why do War Eagles seem to go up on a yearly basis. They are not super rare and look about as good as a Castle Front which are usually much lower.

I think the prices for War Eagles has been fairly flat for the last 10 years. I think the main reason is because the market has been flooded with the reproductions. I don't think a week goes by when there are not at least one or two on E-Bay being sold.

Regarding War Eagle and Castle Fronts. I think there are a lot more Castle Fronts out there than War Eagles (if you don't count the reproduction War Eagles). In my opinion, a properly restored War Eagle looks a lot nicer than a Castle Front.

I think War Eagles are less common than Rol-A-Tops and if it were not for the reproduction War Eagles, the going price of War Eagles would be in the $3,000 - $4,000 range.

Again, all of this is my opinion.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Nations Attic » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:47 pm

Dave, you are right. According to my eBay sales results since Nov 03 there have been 88 Castle Fronts, 49 War Eagles and 63 Rol-A-Top and Tor's. I can typically spot a repo War Eagle which I do not count.

I think anytime a unmarked reproduction is made it hurts the value of the original. It really is a shame as I get a lot of people contact me about their quarter War Eagle only to find out it's not 70 years old but 20.

Don Creekmore

Nations Attic
Nations Attic

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:30 pm

Nations Attic wrote:Dave, you are right. According to my eBay sales results since Nov 03 there have been 88 Castle Fronts, 49 War Eagles and 63 Rol-A-Top and Tor's. I can typically spot a repo War Eagle which I do not count.

I think anytime a unmarked reproduction is made it hurts the value of the original. It really is a shame as I get a lot of people contact me about their quarter War Eagle only to find out it's not 70 years old but 20.

Don Creekmore

Nations Attic

Don:

Thanks for validating my gut feeling.

Are you going to post a follow-up article in COCA regarding E-Bay? I found your last one very interesting.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Nations Attic » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:17 pm

I had one ready to go but COCA didn't seem to interested in having anyone remind me when to send it in. After I asked, I was told it was a few days late, o well.

I do sell them in print form and will have weekly updated results posted on my web site later this year. It has well over 2300 listings and counting every day - including the yellow, green and red War Eagle! haha
Nations Attic

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:51 pm

Nations Attic wrote:I had one ready to go but COCA didn't seem to interested in having anyone remind me when to send it in. After I asked, I was told it was a few days late, o well.

I do sell them in print form and will have weekly updated results posted on my web site later this year. It has well over 2300 listings and counting every day - including the yellow, green and red War Eagle! haha

Don:

Sorry to hear it won't be in an upcoming issue of COCA. I guess they are no longer having a shortage of articles. Feel free to post some or all of it here.

Also, please let us know when your weekly results will be posted on your web page.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Return to E-Bay