A.C. Multi-Bell

This is the place to talk about educational or interesting videos. This will be the spot where COPS will post links to their videos.

Anyone is welcome to contribute or post.

A.C. Multi-Bell

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:04 pm

Just put up my latest video.

It is about the A.C. Multi-Bell.

I purchased this machine a month or so ago and finally found time to do a YT video on it.

https://youtu.be/-CjZqNXtWLg
Dave
Site Admin

Re: A.C. Multi-Bell

Postby rtmccurdy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:27 am

Excellent video as always. One question. If you play seven coins consistently would the machine actually lose money in the long run? Seems like generous odds with all of the assorted payout combinations.
rtmccurdy

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 am

rtmccurdy wrote:Excellent video as always. One question. If you play seven coins consistently would the machine actually lose money in the long run? Seems like generous odds with all of the assorted payout combinations.

No, player will lose money in the long run.

The reason is most of the odds pays are 3 and 5 coins. 7 coins in and 3 coins out means 4 coin profit for the house which part of will be used for the larger payouts.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby marsonion » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Dave wrote:Just put up my latest video.

I purchased this machine a month or so ago and finally found time to do a YT video on it.

Many thanks, Dave-- I've collected all sorts of pictures, scans of brochures, descriptions, etc. regarding this machine over the years, yet I never managed to make any sense of how it was supposed to operate until I watched your video. I used to read the captions and instructions and study the indicators all around the reel window over and over again, and just go "Whaaa--?!?" #-o

Here's some odds-and-ends I had run across years ago-- and I think I already posted something about this somewhere on your forum, so I apologize in advance if I already bored everybody with this stuff-- at any rate, somebody named "Harry E. Knupp" obtained patents for the design of the Caille "Moderne" penny scale back in the early '30s. I am convinced that this same gentleman was responsible for the design of the nearly contemporaneous Caille "Dictator" slot machine (clubconsoles: are you listening?), given the gem-cut, stacked-triangles motifs and the corresponding (and equally objectionable) puce-and-black original color scheme option available for both of these items. Oddly, a later patent issued to Mr. Knupp apparently covers the design of your Multi-Bell cabinet.

Harry E. Knupp was Adolph Caille's son-in-law. :wink:
Attachments
Knupp Moderne Patent.jpg
Puce&BlkModerne&Dictator.jpg
KnuppMultiBellPatent.jpg
marsonion

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Thanks for the additional information.

I wonder what was actually patented about the cabinet? Probably the spinning jackpot window. That is a pretty interesting design and am surprised no one else copied it.

I think the Multi-Bell is an under appreciated machine and if people really understood it then they would be higher in demand. Not to say they are not in demand right now, they are, I just think the demand would be higher if more people understood them and realized they are really a Caille and in fact the last Caille machine made.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby clubconsoles » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:04 am

Many thanks for your informed post marsonion.
it would appear that Harry E. Knupp was the inventor behind the patents for those machines.
However, I read in one of Dick Bueschels books that for the 1934 Dictator (first machine built under fuller-johnsom management), an industrial stylist by the name of George Walker was brought in.
I would suggest he may be responsible for the moderne triangular design to which you refer to?
I had to google the word "contemporaneous" lol
I have never heard that word being used in the UK and thought it was a term only used your side of the pond.
I stand corrected, definition below-

"contemporaneous
kənˌtɛmpəˈreɪnɪəs,kɒnˌtɛmpəˈreɪnɪəs/
adjective
adjective: contemporaneous

existing at or occurring in the same period of time2.
"Pythagoras was contemporaneous with Buddha"
clubconsoles

Postby clubconsoles » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:16 am

well done Dave. =D> =D>
it's about time you did a YT tutorial for a Caille!
What a terrific choice of machine with the AC Multibell!! :D :D :D
I can never understand how these were not readily accepted by the public?
I agree that the payout schedule is complex when compared with a standard Mills, Jennings machine, but some consoles of the 1930's had much more complicated pay schedules iIMO!
Console machines where very popular in the late 30's.
The Multibell is really very similar, payout wise, to a Paces Races, and those were extremely popular in 1936 -39 era of the multibell.
clubconsoles

Postby Dhw3 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:45 am

They are cool machines. I actually have a quarter AC Multibell
Dhw3

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:24 am

clubconsoles wrote:

well done Dave. =D> =D>
it's about time you did a YT tutorial for a Caille!
What a terrific choice of machine with the AC Multibell!! :D :D :D
I can never understand how these were not readily accepted by the public?
I agree that the payout schedule is complex when compared with a standard Mills, Jennings machine, but some consoles of the 1930's had much more complicated pay schedules iIMO!
Console machines where very popular in the late 30's.
The Multibell is really very similar, payout wise, to a Paces Races, and those were extremely popular in 1936 -39 era of the multibell.

Thanks, but this is not my first tutorial of a Caille.

I posted one a while back on a Caille Roulette but it looks like I never advertised it here.

I will go do that now.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby marsonion » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Dave wrote:I wonder what was actually patented about the cabinet? Probably the spinning jackpot window. That is a pretty interesting design and am surprised no one else copied it.

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but I've had conversations with a few of them (even when I didn't have to :D ) and I was informed that patents have indeed been issued solely on the basis of stylistic or aesthetic design criteria per se:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_patent

The justifications for such legal protection are not difficult to fathom: one can easily imagine a highly successful and popular manufactured product being faked on the market by producers of very similar-looking but essentially inferior, cheaper knock-offs. That sort of thing can cut deeply into the original manufacturer's profits as well as tainting the reputation of their products. I was told that domestic patent protections against this sort of chicanery have, historically speaking, been very successful... but with regard to such ongoing abuses as occur in the current international trade scene, "not so much." :cry:
Last edited by marsonion on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
marsonion

Next

Return to Videos