Help, Bally 5 Cent Hi-Boy

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Help, Bally 5 Cent Hi-Boy

Postby bobpeltz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:50 pm

I am desperately hoping someone will be kind enough to help me, or suggest someone who can. I have an early c. 1947 Bally Hi-Boy I am trying to repair for a customer. It will not pay out. I’ve spent two days, can’t find any info, and I’m stumped. I’m in desperate need of a wiring diagram and information about how this machine works. Particularly, what relays/switches set the machine up to pay and how is payout determined. I’m pretty sure there has to be a circuit set up where the power source (one side of 120 vac) is routed through the rivet plates on each reel to the appropriate contact on what I’ll call a “stepper plate” containing a series of rivets such that when a contact finger is run over the rivets in succession each one momentary energizes a relay which in turn momentarily energies a soleniod that spits out one nickle with each pulse. I can't for the life of me figure out why it isn’t working, though I can get it to pay if I bypass the rivet plates for the second and third reels. But in most cases the payout doesn’t jibe with the symbol on the reel! Can anyone help? Is there any such thing as a wiring diagram, manual or someone I can ask? I would be indebted. I have the machine out of the cabinet and on the bench. I don’t use this forum much, so would greatly appreciate a call at (317) 730-0018 if anyone can help. Thanks!
Bob Peltz, Prop.
Big Boy Toys Restorations
SHOP ADDRESS:
7506 South State Route 267
Brownsburg, IN 46112
(In the village of Fayette, 5 miles north of Brownsburg. Look for the old general store with Coke machines around and a buggy on the roof.)
MAILING ADDRESS:
8970 Cooper Rd
Zionsville, IN 46077
PHONE:
(317) 730-0018
WEB SITE:
http://www.homespunantiques.com
bobpeltz

Re: Help, Bally 5 Cent Hi-Boy

Postby capt7310 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:03 am

Hi Bob, Have you tried New Life Games website there are a bunch of different sites that they will help you at with that Ballys. I've been working on a Ballys Money Honey that won't payout and these guys have been very helpful with giving me info in trying to get it to work correctly. If you haven't reach out to this site give them a try. Good Luck
capt7310

Postby MONTI » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:40 am

Bob!
Please open the back of the cabinet and take pictures of the reel mech showing the wiper assembly, the power supply area, Etc. and post them for all to see!
These areas should be somewhat view-able from the back but I believe you mentioned you had pulled these components as well!
That is a unique slot machine but should have similar wiring to the larger consoles that Bally made at that time!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby bobpeltz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks! Will do when I get back to the shop.
bobpeltz

Postby bobpeltz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:48 pm

So..., I’m an idiot! Thanks for the replies, I finally discovered what I did. I had the first and second reels switched! I know, that will do it every time. My apologies to everyone who knows anything about slot machines. Thanks
bobpeltz

Return to Just Chatting