by nvmos » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:59 pm
Hi Mike;
I just checked those two Zephyrs on ebay; the one with door sold for $307.11; the one with no door sold for $112.50.
For the purposes of our discussion, the question is "How much of the difference is due to one having an original back door?"
Hard to say because there was a big difference in the condition of the machines; the one with door was either restored or in Exc/complete/working condition; the one with no door needed retoration inside and out; paint was shot, alot of rust inside and missing at least a few springs in addition to the back door.
My offer on your replacement door (it would more properly be called a replacement rather than repoduction since it does not have the gum filler hole/flap or coin release plunger) was not intended to be lowball/insulting and I don't think you took it that way; I just thought that's about where it should be. I admit that I have not been to any shows/meetings for years; the last door I bought was a repo back for a Columbia slot for $30, but that was at least 6 years ago.
At any rate, if replacement doors are going into the $80 range, I may just make up a batch, one for my machine and the rest to sell. The Zephyr (and Columbia slot) back doors would be among the easiest to copy. Obviously, you either made the one you have or got it from someone who made one or more, so there may be more floating around out there.
Are we the only ones on this thread? Anybody else got an opinion (or back doors to sell)?
Jim